Blower motor not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steelbilly

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently did a motor swap on my 82 k10 and now the blower motor isnt working. I did replace the relay that goes to the a/c and blower motor but didnt fix it. Where should i start? Electical is not my strong suite.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I recently did a motor swap on my 82 k10 and now the blower motor isnt working. I did replace the relay that goes to the a/c and blower motor but didnt fix it. Where should i start? Electical is not my strong suite.

I am with you on electrical, but ...

Can you disconnect the plug, and jumper a hot and a ground directly to the blower motor plug ?

That would be am easy way to verify the motor is good.

This assumes you have already checked the fuse.

If the blower works them my next thought is connections or the switch, but I am not an expert.

Best of luck!

Britt

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Also check what speed the dash switch is set to. On my '75 with A/C the lower speeds (1-3?) are run through one fuse, and the high speed is a separate fuse in a fuse holder on the firewall. You can lose high speed (fuse blown on the firewall) and still have all the other speeds working. If the resistor pack is bad (also mounted in the plenum under the hood), you will lose one or more of the low speeds.

Bruce

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is this on all speeds? The relay is just for high speed. A resistor handles all the lower ones. I would also suggest jumping power to the motor to see if it’ll actually turn and rule that out. A wire may have gotten pinched or clipped in all the engine swapping commotion.

Steelbilly

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So the main fuse was blown we replaced it . It works on the 3 lower speeds but blows the fuse everytime we flip it to high.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Sounds like that blower is defective and pulling too many amps. I don't think the main orange wire is pinched cuz I don't think it'd run on the lower settings. In other words, electricity takes the path of least resistance or straight to short every time -kinda talking aloud.

Just weird it would run on the lower ones.

Oh wait, 1987 Jimmy said there's a relay for high only. That could be the issue then. It's shorted. Or the wiring to the load side of the relay is. Look at the connector itself for melting too.

Last edited:

Steelbilly

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Found a wire shorting out under the dash and capped it off now everythings working fine thanks for the help guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade