Block Sealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think your're stressing to hard about this buddy. You said it only loses a pint or a quart in a couple weeks? That's not real bad YET. The motor has over 180,000 on it now. I'd like to see my GAS motors go 200,000. Probably more like 300,000 if it was an LS motor are well maintained. You bought the thing used, know no history before you bought it. So, if you got over 180,000 out of a TBI motor, I'd call it good and be saving for a rebuild, good used recetnly rebuilt, or crate motor. I say to go thru the time, trouble, money and labor to patch a 180,000 + mile TBI motor is a bad investment. Of course that's just my opinion.
In the meantime, you don't work far from home, your boat launch is close by, so unless plan on going on a long drive anytime soon no need to be hardcore stressing over it. That **** will eat a person alive. Save up some bucks, never know you might even find another square with a recently rebuilt motor that's in good condition and running great for $1500-$1800 which is cheaper than a new crate for yours by the time you pay shipping, and all the fluids etc. Just chill dawg !!!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I made the mistake of using that alumiseal stuff that is supposed to seal up leaks, it was always in a small clear tube on the counter at carquest and looked like a bunch of small aluminum flakes. Shortly after I poured it in my heater core was plugged as well as most of my radiator.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I made the mistake of using that alumiseal stuff that is supposed to seal up leaks, it was always in a small clear tube on the counter at carquest and looked like a bunch of small aluminum flakes. Shortly after I poured it in my heater core was plugged as well as most of my radiator.

I actually had pretty good luck with aluma seal before. I had a radiator leak and didn't want to use anything big like bars leak and clog up my cooling system. It seamed to fix the leak but didn't change my temp at all or make my heater core go bad. Knock on wood.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think your're stressing to hard about this buddy. You said it only loses a pint or a quart in a couple weeks? That's not real bad YET. The motor has over 180,000 on it now. I'd like to see my GAS motors go 200,000. Probably more like 300,000 if it was an LS motor are well maintained. You bought the thing used, know no history before you bought it. So, if you got over 180,000 out of a TBI motor, I'd call it good and be saving for a rebuild, good used recetnly rebuilt, or crate motor. I say to go thru the time, trouble, money and labor to patch a 180,000 + mile TBI motor is a bad investment. Of course that's just my opinion.
In the meantime, you don't work far from home, your boat launch is close by, so unless plan on going on a long drive anytime soon no need to be hardcore stressing over it. That **** will eat a person alive. Save up some bucks, never know you might even find another square with a recently rebuilt motor that's in good condition and running great for $1500-$1800 which is cheaper than a new crate for yours by the time you pay shipping, and all the fluids etc. Just chill dawg !!!
It's killing me, yes. And I am very stressed and my mind is spinning.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I never had a problem with the alumaseal or the copper equivelant. You don't have to use the whole tube, just put a little in at a time until it works. That **** works real good for pinhole leaks and seeps.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I never had a problem with the alumaseal or the copper equivelant. You don't have to use the whole tube, just put a little in at a time until it works. That **** works real good for pinhole leaks and seeps.

Yep it does. If I ever had to recommend an additive like that, I always suggest alluma seal cuz it being a finer power and smaller pieces, its LESS likley to clog **** up, but it will still clog some stuff up too.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My dads a really funny guy and always harrasing the parts guys, he grabbed a can of head gasket fixer in a can and was asking them i they guarantee if it works.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
My personal experience is the head gasket sealer in a bottle (not sure what brand) works pretty damn good, we used it one time in a Ford F 650 at work with a international diesel and I told the mechanics that was a bad idea. It ran fine with no other issues for about 3 years until the injector pump went out. Since that was like 7000 dollars or more iirc to fix they sent it through the auction non running. Just try to run the heater regularly (sucks if its hot) to circulate coolant through it for the first month or so after putting the stuff in. As far as the radiator goes flush thoroughly the before putting it in so there is as little gunk in there as possible. If it is a brass tank job (probably not on that) but you can have it rodded out after the new motor goes in, if not a new one shouldnt break the bank if there are any lasting issues. It will not cause any further motor problems that I have ever heard of so it cant hurt there. Just my .02!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You could always use those big rat turds that they sell for Cadillac 4100s.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok, I am taking the plunge and gonna try this ****.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 147

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Be sure to follow the directions EXACTLY as it says to do. If it says pour it in a cold motor, make sure its cold. If it say to drive 2000 miles after pouring it in, you better get a full tank of gas first and a few cans. Just saying, do it exactly as it says to do it and don't waiver a bit.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Way to go man! It says permanent...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Which BTW 89s, If It were me, and I really wanted to give that stuff a try, I think I'd pull my thermostat out for a few days. Reason being, you want to keep the stuff circulating at all times and not let it stop. This way as it circulates, it should find any leaks and fill them. I'd be afraid if it stopped circulating, thats when it would clog stuff like radiator or heater core. Just a suggestion, I don't know if it would make a difference for sure or not.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok, I put this **** in after I installed the water pump and it worked outstanding. Now more ****** smelly white smoke out of the tailpipe or puddle below the tail pipe when sitting at an idle, huge ass difference. It works fast as **** too. Worth every bit of that $40 bucks. We will see how long it lasts, but it gives me some breathing room and time to get a replacement motor or get things gathered for doing a head gasket job.

I am a totally different person this week not stressing over burning coolant issue. I am a very happy camper and back this product 100%. :High 5:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wootensan