Best mud tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You must be registered for see images attach

I've replaced my KM2s with KM3s. (went up from a 285/75R16 to a 315/75R16). Have only went thru some mild mud- and they cleaned out well. I'm most impressed with how easily the tread and sidewall flex over rocks/bumps/roots. When the tire conforms around whatever obstacles you are going over you get a lot better traction.
Hey Mike what PSI are you running on the street?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

I've replaced my KM2s with KM3s. (went up from a 285/75R16 to a 315/75R16). Have only went thru some mild mud- and they cleaned out well. I'm most impressed with how easily the tread and sidewall flex over rocks/bumps/roots. When the tire conforms around whatever obstacles you are going over you get a lot better traction.
And yeah, one mean pack of thin leafs! Deaver? ORD? Alcan? Homemade? Are you running long shocks too?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Since I'm only running 8" wide steel wheels I'm running them at lower pressure. I grabbed my kid's sidewalk chalk and did the chalk line/wear method on them. Running 35 lbs front and 32 lbs rear so far.

Front springs are ORDs (Alcans). Would like some for the rear, but still need to haul some weight on occasion. So swapped out to new 56" rear springs and a 2.5" shackle flip.

Front shocks are something like 13.5" travel. This pic was after the front shocks. I re-did the drag link, steering arm and pitman arm after this pic. Technically I should do crossover steer, but that is for another day.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Now to me, that looks more like a rock crawling tire than a true mud terrain. Same thing goes for the km2. It’s patterned after their krawler tire, which is a rock crawling tread. I don’t care for any of them. I loved the km1 I had on my Jeep, they cleaned out well and had the classic mud grip look. I wish they still made them. I also miss the ko1 tread. To me the ko2 doesn’t look as good.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Guess it depends on the part of the country you live. If all you do is mud, then by all means the only option is paddle tires or perhaps Super Swamper boggers. Unfortunately driving those tires in other conditions would be "less than ideal".

For me both of those tires performed well in everything (except glare ice). And they were both very durable without chunking, gravel chipping, or having flats. Other mud terrains I've had were a harder not so flexible rubber that liked to chunk out. A flat mud terrain doesn't do anyone any good.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Looking at these for my c10. $740 shipped to my door. Gladiator xcomp mt

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
PSA: I just found out a little while ago that on the Interco tire website they have a "Blem list". If a tire isn't perfect they throw them on the list. It changes/gets updated all the time.

For instance right now they have some IROK ND (non-directional) tires 285/75R16 for $129.75/ea.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
PSA: I just found out a little while ago that on the Interco tire website they have a "Blem list". If a tire isn't perfect they throw them on the list. It changes/gets updated all the time.

For instance right now they have some IROK ND (non-directional) tires 285/75R16 for $129.75/ea.

I've never trusted the blem list. My luck, I'd get a bunch of black rubber eggs, lol.

75Cheyenne

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside Shortbed
Engine Size
Always growing
This is an easy one... Hot knifed boggers are the best mud tire.

Other great offroad tires are Pitbull rockers.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Know anybody that has really run IROK's? I can't find many reports of their longevity. They are still on the blem list, but I'm guessing they are probably only going to last 30k or so. We've got well over 50k on our Dick Cepeks already and will need replacing soon. 129 per tire is hard to beat, but I'm not sure the trade off is worth it, if they will be shot in just a year.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I only know of the one guy who runs the Irok radial (not the ND version) in a 39.5x13.50R16. He's only had them for about 6 months and most of that has been playing in the deep snow- which is pretty easy on tires. He used a bunch of balance beads in the tires and claims it is not bad on the highway.
Not sure what the mileage would be out of their tires... I'd guess your estimate of 30k might be reasonable. They are a softer rubber compound.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I run mickey Thompson baha mtz. So far i love them for the sd snow. When it is packed tho i add a little extra weight. They do slip a bit

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
MUD: There was a comment earlier in this thread about Buckshot Mudders and I ran a set of those on a Jeep and they did great in mud but not so great in the snow and were okay on the road but whined a little and got progressively worse as they wore. I have ran Ground Hawgs, Gumbo Monster Mudders, and Interco's TSL, Thornbird and Boggers. All of those are fine in the mud with the exception of the Thornbirds which suck all around. The winner in KY mud would have to be the TSLs or Boggers. I would never want to put any of these on a truck I was going to use on the road most it's life. These were all loud as hell and most the time ruined the ride and drive even.

ALL Terrains: I ran Nitto Terra Grapplers on the Jeep as well and loved them in snow and mud. I have about half used another set on my dmax and they did great until recently. Now that they are half worn they aren't good anywhere on the heavier truck so I am going with BFG AT tires next to see if I like them better.

As a final note if you are just wanting a street tire I don't think you can beat a michelin. :)

bft305

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I run super swamper IROK's 36"x13.5x16.5" when I am on the trial and so far I like them. The IROKs are pretty loud on the street and I don't worry about mpg's since it is single digits anyways! Can't really tell you about longevity since I have a seperate set of tires for the street/ highway and don't get out as much as I was hoping to. I doubt you will get more than 30k, they are pretty aggressive tire. Have not had any issues with them and would consider another set if I ever wear them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84