Bellhousing shield for a 1984 K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCAutomotive

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Doing an engine swap in a 1984 K20. We are installing a BluePrint 383. The shield/cover that goes on the lower parts of the bellhousing was completely bent up. I am trying to find a replacement, but everything I see doesn't look the same. See Pictures. Any suggestions? When trying to install the replacement, it's hitting the 2 tabs on the top and won't go up all the way. Also you can see that the new one angles out on the driver's side, where the OE one curves more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Bet one is for TH400 and the other is for TH 350. IIRC the bells are shaped a little bit differently.
Or...parts have been superseded?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
What transmission

Bet one is for TH400 and the other is for TH 350. IIRC the bells are shaped a little bit differently.
Or...parts have been superseded?

Those covers are for a manual transmission, most likely an sm465. An automatic converter cover will surround the lower 1/3 of the torque converter.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I know the older transmission used a shaped pan, kind of dished, but I know the 4L60E and '80E that I have, use a flat piece.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Could the difference be between a one piece and two piece rear main cover?

clintC

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Doing an engine swap in a 1984 K20. We are installing a BluePrint 383. The shield/cover that goes on the lower parts of the bellhousing was completely bent up. I am trying to find a replacement, but everything I see doesn't look the same. See Pictures. Any suggestions? When trying to install the replacement, it's hitting the 2 tabs on the top and won't go up all the way. Also you can see that the new one angles out on the driver's side, where the OE one curves more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having same issue with a replacement cover (no original), advertised to fit 81 4 spd....3 bolts from drivers side over are correct, but starter hole is off/"short" by quite a bit