been so long. vortec refresher.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I was just wondering if someone could give me a quick refresher on what to do with my vortec heads again, because if I remember right its not just plug and play, I think I'm going to redo all the seals and gaskets over winter so I feel like I should put the vortec heads in. Thanks for your help

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Heads, Vortec specific intake, make sure your cam is compatible with max lift on the Vortec heads unless you do mods (stock is around .460 max lift).

That's what I can recall, others will chime in with more I'm sure.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
on what to do with my vortec heads

What do you mean?

Are you asking what is involved in mounting Vortec heads on an engine that did not originally have them?

They will bolt right on to the block - and fit just like non-Vortec heads. No modifications required.

That is for the head to block interface.

The intake manifold is not so easy:

A stock manifold that mounts on non-Vortec heads will not fit the Vortec heads without some fairly involved modifications.

The diameter, number and location of the bolt holes is different (8 vs. 12). More importantly, the angle of the bolt holes through the manifold is slightly different than the angle of the bolt holes in the cylinder head. The manifold bolt holes can be re-drilled to match the angle of the head bolt holes but it is an involved procedure.

Much cheaper to buy a Vortec specific intake manifold that will accept your carburetor - an Edelbrock Performer of that design is like $200.

Dont try to run non- vortec rockers on a vortec.

You will need a pair of center bolt valve covers for the vortecs.

BTW - the title of your post is "been so long. vortec refresher" then I noticed your age -19.

When did you start installing Vortecs - when you were 3?

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
on what to do with my vortec heads

What do you mean?

Are you asking what is involved in mounting Vortec heads on an engine that did not originally have them?

They will bolt right on to the block - and fit just like non-Vortec heads. No modifications required.

That is for the head to block interface.

The intake manifold is not so easy:

A stock manifold that mounts on non-Vortec heads will not fit the Vortec heads without some fairly involved modifications.

The diameter, number and location of the bolt holes is different (8 vs. 12). More importantly, the angle of the bolt holes through the manifold is slightly different than the angle of the bolt holes in the cylinder head. The manifold bolt holes can be re-drilled to match the angle of the head bolt holes but it is an involved procedure.

Much cheaper to buy a Vortec specific intake manifold that will accept your carburetor - an Edelbrock Performer of that design is like $200.

Dont try to run non- vortec rockers on a vortec.

You will need a pair of center bolt valve covers for the vortecs.

BTW - the title of your post is "been so long. vortec refresher" then I noticed your age -19.

When did you start installing Vortecs - when you were 3?

Its not just the bolt holes that are the issue on the non vortec intakes, the intake ports are much taller, and will extend above a regular sbc manifold.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I stopped typing - I am a hunt-and pecker. The less I type the better.

Anyway I figured the bolting issues would be enough to discourage him from trying to do that job. I am not even sure that is what he is intending to do.