BB Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’m not familiar with the plastic tank replacements, I prefer the brass tank original type.

Are you running standard or reverse rotation belts?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm running some sort of F body long tube headers on my 502ci

The drivers side collector did need a good bit of heating and bending and prying to make the collector dump at the same height as the passenger side BUT there was no clearance issues during installation within my 79 c10 frame rail..... they just absolutely suck butt to change plugs on cylinders 3 and 6 I believe

I've beaten and banged on them + have a socket thats got a ground flat on it to slip past the primary tubes.
You can imagine the excitement I experience installing new plugs when I realize I was 1 rotation off on the hex and then, when the sparkplug is finally torqued to spec, I can't get the socket back off because the flat doesnt line up lol

SHEIT.

Anyhow, not too bad.

I'm running a radiator from a 454 truck, like a 4 core rad from a 90s Era 454 truck, no fan shroud, and flex fan, plus an external oil cooler and my motor will operate at around 195ish on a hot day here in NC. If I spent my time with it and really put the effort in to proper cooling, it would probably run at 180 all day long.

The thing with big motors and overheating at least down here in the south is, if you run crap gas, and like running it on the lean side to save on gas (dunno why you even have a BB to begin with if that's the case) ... they will overheat

Crappy flowing heads, low octane gas, and lean operating conditions are gonna have them big old mountain motors overheating sadly.
Get all the heat off them you can and they'll play nice
Oil coolers and Big radiators with liberal fueling and theyll do just fine.
Anywho,

Sounds like a pretty sweet direction you're headed OP and FastDuramax

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thank you nvrenuf but you really think that will be adequate? It sure would be nice after pricing a Griffin and electric fan combo $$$ then again it’s protecting a crazy investment so better safe than ugly sorry lol
Griffin combo's are 10% at summit right now & in stock too... Not to mention they're rather pretty

You must be registered for see images attach

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Holy crap beyond pretty ! If I’m looking at the correct part number for my application the rad is available but the combo is not, Summit is not being much help, it looks like the Frostbite combo kit is available and is owned by Holley and I’m a huge fan of Holley products, I’ll keep researching

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I’m running a factory plastic tank 454 radiator from a 97 Suburban with dual fans from a 2012 K2500 pickup. Whole deal cost me about $100 from the local pick-n-pull.

This is what it looks like in the truck.. I don’t think I got a pic of it after it was all wired up and pretty, but this is it while I was doing the wiring and adding an under hood fuse block and accessory battery.

Zero issues keeping the mildly built 350 cool even hauling my travel trailer through the coastal mountains. Idling with ac on in heat the fans only kick on high for a few seconds every minute or two. The low rpm stays on when the AC compressor is engaged. High only needs to run for a few seconds to pull the temp down to below 200. They never come on when driving.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That was all in preparation for putting in the L29 454/4L80e combo that came out of the 97 K2500. It’s definitely going to need more cooling, since it is also mildly built… but this should be more than adequate unless I’m pulling 15k lb loads up the grapevine at full throttle or something stupid like that. Even then it would probably be fine.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I still doubt that 1-7/8” is enough header to adequately support a motor like that, go bigger and let it breathe.

Big tubes are for high rpm... will you be spinning your engine over 5000? The 1 7/8" is enough for all them cubes. Plus as mentioned already, they fit better too!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Holy crap beyond pretty ! If I’m looking at the correct part number for my application the rad is available but the combo is not, Summit is not being much help, it looks like the Frostbite combo kit is available and is owned by Holley and I’m a huge fan of Holley products, I’ll keep researching
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-cu-70013

In stock at Sparks NV and 10% off, comes with the fans, shroud, relay kits and sending unit. This is the one for a classic small block & they have a similar one for LS swaps that is a few dollars more.

I wouldn't hesitate on a Holley product either, I have been very pleased with everything I've purchased from any of their brands.

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks guys what an awesome website! Shiftpro, I worked very closely with my engine builder to make it user friendly for a 4500 pound vehicle yet still have some cam thump like all BBC should ! So here’s my numbers my roller cam choice has 547/547 lift this puts it at 716 torque @ 4,000 665 hp @ 5,500 that said my motor should come in slightly higher at a slightly lower RPM, I opted for AFR heads Holley EFI and a better intake than the dyno mule, you’re likely correct I’m sure I’ll be just fine with a set of the Sanderson BB8’s and 3” duals….

Last edited:

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Cal, it looks to me that the Griffin I need is the CU-70123, states for a large BBC, unfortunately I can’t find one in stock UGH !

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I stand corrected I bought the last one from Summit today they did not have one last week ! This should keep the giant swamp rat happy !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey