Barn door to tailgate conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankerCarl

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Has any one on here ever converted from barn doors to a tailgate on a suburban? I have really been considering changing. Never was a real big fan of rear doors but saw her and decided to save her from the auction house. Any help would be appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Great save!!! There is a guy on her that converted a tailgate blazer to barn doors but im not sure who

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Why? Tailgates suck.

At least mine did. Rattled all the time, window was usually a problem etc. 9/10 I'd have preferred the doors.

Last edited:

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome to the site!

I have seen a few people do it the other way around but I've never seen someone get rid of those god awful rear doors in favor of a tailgate, someone here even ruined a perfectly good k5 blazer by making it a hard top with barn doors. I say go for it, definitely can be done and would probably be easier than doing it the other way around. Would be a cool mod IMO, hope to see you tackle it!

Why? Tailgates suck.

At least mine did. Rattled all the time, window was usually a problem etc. 9/10 I'd have preferred the doors.

Why? Why not? The tailgate looks sleeker than those ambulance doors and is more useful if you plan to use the truck as an actual truck rather than a van. IMO if you want rear doors just go buy one of those 4wd G20 vans.

And if it rattles or the window has trouble going up or down it probably just needs a little maintenance. When I changed out the dry hard rubber seals the window went up and down so much better, there is also a slider on the regulator that needs to be cleaned and lubed. For rattles you may have to adjust the strikers the same as you would on your side doors if they rattle. Not a big task really. It's all a matter of personal preference and what you like, but I wouldn't knock the tailgate just because you had one that was in bad shape

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My gmt 400 i prefered the tailgate over barn door. Better visibility

HankerCarl

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Why? Tailgates suck.

Every square body that I’ve ever owned or been in with rear doors rattled so bad and needed constant adjustment. Ive never had as much noise from a tailgate.

HankerCarl

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I have done some cosmetic upgrades to her. This is what I bought. I converted to all LED lighting including headlights. Removed the god awful aluminum running boards and removed everything smog related. Went with an edelbrock intake and carb. Upgraded to 18” wheels and tires. I also plan on a 4”/4.5” drop and a LS swap. Oh and don’t forget the tailgate conversion. Then ready for paint and body.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is mostly already set up for a tailgate. The lower valance piece I believe is different. Otherwise most parts swap over.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
My brand new 88 I ordered with a tailgate. I couldn't imagine having the barn doors. The rear view while driving was perfect. The ability to have the window down while driving for more airflow was amazing until the exhaust fumes almost made you pass out. Then the power window had issues as it got older. Would go down but not back up or come back up canted. Or not work at all. Can't tell you the grief I experienced trying to get that POS working again. Drove that truck 245k miles.

Fast forward to my now new 86 with barn doors. Still can't imagine having them but you get what you get. Tried to figure out what I needed to do to put a tailgate in just like you but figured I would give the barn doors an honest chance to sway my thinking.
I have to say to date, I'm liking the barn doors more every day. There is zero rattle but I'm sure the new weatherstripping as something to do with that. They close really tight.
Everytime I put something in the back end of that thing my back thanks me for not having to bend over that damn tailgate.
The post smack in the middle of the rearview is kind of a pain but that's what you have outside mirrors for and I find pretty easy to adjust to. Towing anything makes the windshield rearview mirror pretty much useless anyway.
It makes me think about the morons that bought a 63 split window Vette and decided to take that center post out and put in a 64 rear window.....all because they couldn't see out the back. They're kicking themselves now for that major ******.

I get why you want to do it but I say give the barn doors a chance before doing anything radical. Just IMPO.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I have a split window Corvette and I hardly use the mirrors, everybody looks out for you!!! Also that's why cops have sirens, so you know to pull over or go faster.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm a dyed in the wool tailgate guy. I love my Burbs with tailgates and will always prefer them over barn doors. Just the ventilation alone makes it better.

A member here converted his Burb from barn doors to a tailgate. @Daveo91Burb I believe it was.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Tailgate guy here. Always had a place to work on ****. A place to put tools.

YMMV

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I'm a dyed in the wool tailgate guy. I love my Burbs with tailgates and will always prefer them over barn doors. Just the ventilation alone makes it better.

A member here converted his Burb from barn doors to a tailgate. @Daveo91Burb I believe it was.

Yep, that was me and it most definitely can be done. Lots of work, though. Took me several months and I had a parts burb with TG. Interestingly, while these posts were being made I was camping with my burb and sleeping in the back. TG burbs are much nicer to sleep in than barn doors. I wired in an interior rocker switch for the window so I can roll it down from the back with the key off. (started to rain midway through the night so I just reached out and rolled up the window!) I also wired in a switch so I can turn the interior lights on from the back. TG burbs are also nice to sit on and use as tool platforms as previously mentioned. They also don't swing into the car next to you in the parking lot when you open them. Drawbacks include more rattles, window adjustments, motor difficulties, etc. But I love mine and would not go back.

Here's my build thread. Biggest issue by far is the tailpiece (part where the TG hinges mount to). After the early 80s GM made the diverge point between the two models much earlier on the assembly line . Barn door models are missing supports in the tailpiece for the TG - it will flex way too much from the weight of TG without any support. Tailpiece is replaceable, but it is a major bodywork operation. I modified mine in place instead. I used pressure treated wood as a support - just blocks of wood in between the flanges of a C-channel. Cheesy yes, but it works and it will last a long time. Alternatively one may be able to weld some vertical plates in as support, but I'm not a good welder and the access is horrible.

Here's another thread where I was planning the project - may be some useful info.

Good luck, PM me or tag me in this thread if you have any specific questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising