B&M shift kit for Turbo 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Who has installed one on their transmission? I specifically asked about the 350 since that's what I have but if you have on on your 400 or 700r4 let me know too.

Mainly curious as to if you noticed a difference and what anyone thinks about the claim of adding life to your transmission. Which I know can only be proven in a lab since there so many variables in wear and when any specific transmission would go out. The part about running cooler makes sense if it makes it shift quicker since it's not slipping the clutches as long.

I haul fire wood in mine maxed out and toe trailers as well up to about... Well let's say heavy.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Then you would benefit from a shift improvement kit. And if you do a lot of heavy hauling like that, i'd recommend an auxiliary trans cooler as well. You WILL notice a difference.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've always liked the Transgo shift kits better than B&M.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a aux trans cooler. But the heavy loads are max a few times a year, not the only thing it does.

I thought about one of these years ago. And for some reason I saw them again today while looking for a reusable pan gasket on Amazon and I watched the install video on YouTube. It got me to thinking.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The B&M kit is ok, the transGo is more “civilized”. The B&M kit deletes the accumulator function, or restricts its function depending on how you install it. The TransGo kit is more expensive, but the shifts get firmer with throttle. It also includes a pressure regulator spring, 2-3 shift valve spring, and provisions to allow the trans to downshift at any speed. B&M offers the TransKit that has the same features as the TransGo.

For a daily driver work truck, the TransGo kit is probably the way to go. If you already have the B&M kit, go ahead and use it, just be conservative when drilling the holes in the spacer plate.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If your valve body has the plastic accumulator piston in the valve body, replace it with a earlier aluminum piston. If it’s plastic, and hasn’t broken, buy a lottery ticket before your luck changes!!

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I haven't bought either. I guess you could say I am weighing my options at this point.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've had plenty of Th350's with the B&M Shift Improver kit installed both Stage 1 and 2. I liked them both and had no issues with either 1. Stage 2 is quite firm and will chirp tires anything over light throttle take offs.

Ask @Rusty Nail about his. Installed a Stage 1 B&M in his.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
@Rusty Nail , what's your experience? What stage did you go with?
I built his with a Stage 1. You'd prefer a Stage 1 in a 4x4. It's claimed that the firm hard shifts are hard on the transfer case and tend to stretch the chain prematurely. I don't know how true that actually is, but it does certainly seem to reason. I know my truck I had a Stage 2 in, though it a 2x4 was hard on U joints and the Intermediate roller clutch in the transmission. Stage 2 does slam 2nd pretty hard.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thank you.
@Rusty Nail , what's your experience?

In my experience Stage 1 is the correct choice for street/daily use.
I have used Stage 2 before, in a street/strip build and that was the correct choice in that application, hands down but it shifts far too "firmly" to be anywhere remotely near comfortable in the aforementioned street/daily application. To each his own...Stage 2 really makes for a much better 2-3 shift :imo: but it isn't practical for light to light because 1-2 gets too strong and you can't tune it out. - real talk
2-3 is going too gawddanged fast...lol

As far as a use-or experience-with actual Stage 3? Well, a boy can dream!:badger_1:

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I probably never will do it, but if say it does interest me.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If the stage 2 is too firm for daily driving, install a looser converter. The extra stall speed really tames things down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man