Axle swap guidance needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jncn598

Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
The PO of my 81 C10 Suburban let the differential leak out a quart or so of fluid. Between my bearings singing as I roll down the road, open diff, and 3.08 gears, I want a whole new axle assembly. I called around and parts are 750 with 500+- for labor. $1250 for a rebuilt 12 bolt sounds crazy.

Any opinions on the ATK line of reman axle assemblies that all of the national auto part chains sell? They have a 3yr unlimited mile warranty, but they pretty much only have 10 or 14 bolts.

If I go with a 14 bolt and get 8 lugs on the rear; what do I do about getting 8 lug front wheels? Can I just replace the 5 lug rotors with 8 lug rotors? Or do I have to also get spindles. Do I just need a proportioning valve? Or do I also need a master cylinder?

$1500 gets me a turn key 14 with disc brakes.
2005 HD 2500
Leaf(RearSpringType), RWD, DiscRear, Limited Slip Differential (Posi) G80, Full Floating Axle, 4.10, 10.5" RAXP1957B

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
My opinion: $1400 will buy a complete truck with a good rear axle you can swap in yourself, and have a bunch of spare parts you can either use, save, or sell.
That's what I would do.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It seems that them Suburbans in c.L. goes cheap. find one of those with the proper gearing that You want and swopper in.
A 90 will also have a TBI`d enjun, swapum that inum too. Getum good fuel mileage.

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
The Internet is a great tool if you know a few tricks, one of which is the truly useful websites. The one below is linked to salvage yards across the USA and other places. I use this rather than calling to narrow down $$ for what I'm after, then I call and see who still has what I want.

http://www.car-part.com/

jncn598

Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
The Internet is a great tool if you know a few tricks, one of which is the truly useful websites. The one below is linked to salvage yards across the USA and other places. I use this rather than calling to narrow down $$ for what I'm after, then I call and see who still has what I want.

Not sure if my wife will love you or hate you. But I love that site.

Awesome!!

Last edited:

jncn598

Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
My opinion: $1400 will buy a complete truck with a good rear axle you can swap in yourself, and have a bunch of spare parts you can either use, save, or sell.
That's what I would do.

I will definitely have to get rid of the 1982 bass boat in our backyard before I even broach that subject. On the other hand getting rid of the boat will make her do backflips.

Who knew that following advice from this site could improve my marriage.

:cheers:

jncn598

Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size

Do you have anymore favorite sites for finding wisdom or parts?

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
car-part is the best one I've found. The other ones are the classified sections on various message boards. YOU have to sell it to your wife that by using that site you can save money and who doesn't like that?

Wisdom, yeah, Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

I "think" that G80 posi unit is also called a Gov Lock aka the Gov Bomb. Some have no problems and some do, I personally avoid them. A standard open diff 14 bolt diff can have a Detroit locker installed in it easily with probably better reliability than the G80. Just food for thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay