Axle shaft help... will not seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jd_boggs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
3.9L
An axle seal failed so I'm replacing all seals, bearings and ruined brake shoes.
I removed the bolt and pulled out the steel rod to remove the C-clip. Then removed the C-clip from the diff to pull the axle shaft and begin bearing and seal replacement. After after replacing bearings and seals I lubricated the seals and bearings both. I tried to install the axle shaft but it will NOT fit. It binds up and will not travel the last 3 inches. What am I doing wrong?
I tested bearings and seals for fit on one of the axles shaft because they make 2 different sizes. So I tested for proper fit before installing them.
Is there a special trick get them aligned?
I welcome any suggestions. BTW, it's 1981 K10 4x4

Thanks

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Does it seem to be binding in the bearing or does it seem to come to a dead stop like it hit somthing? If its not the bearing fitment then perhaps you need to try to get the end of the axle tonrais up and align with the carrier. Give it a little turn and it should go in.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Turn and push down a little bit on the hub face end while twisting and pushing probably just have to get splined in up alil bit

jd_boggs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
3.9L
Does it seem to be binding in the bearing or does it seem to come to a dead stop like it hit somthing? If its not the bearing fitment then perhaps you need to try to get the end of the axle tonrais up and align with the carrier. Give it a little turn and it should go in.

It appears to bind up at the carrier end. So, I removed the spider gears to make sure nothing is in the way. While the axle is out I confirmed that the splined gears fit the axle. I will try again today :)

jd_boggs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
3.9L
Turn and push down a little bit on the hub face end while twisting and pushing probably just have to get splined in up alil bit

It appears to bind up at the carrier end. So, I removed the spider gears to make sure nothing is in the way. While the axle is out I confirmed that the splined gears fit the axle. I will try again today

jd_boggs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
3.9L
It appears to bind up at the carrier end. So, I removed the spider gears to make sure nothing is in the way. While the axle is out I confirmed that the splined gears fit the axle. I will try again today

Axle fits now....
I let the axles sit over night in freezing temps and fit like a glove this morning:)

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Axle fits now....
I let the axles sit over night in freezing temps and fit like a glove this morning:)

What happens when it warms up? I would be concerned that I
have the wrong bearings.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's common practice to gain just a few thousandths clearance to make something go together easily. Done it before for a transmission input shaft into the fwd drum. I put the shaft in the freezer and drum in the oven on 200 degrees for a couple hours and suddenly something that's usually pressed-fit drops in like a dream. Those side gears, since they're riding on the spiders can tilt so easily and make it a real pain to do alone.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It's common practice to gain just a few thousandths clearance to make something go together easily. Done it before for a transmission input shaft into the fwd drum. I put the shaft in the freezer and drum in the oven on 200 degrees for a couple hours and suddenly something that's usually pressed-fit drops in like a dream. Those side gears, since they're riding on the spiders can tilt so easily and make it a real pain to do alone.
I have also used heat or cold to help in some situations and I totaly understand the concept. My only concern was that the axle inside the bearing rollers should not be an interfearance fit. If it was the side
gears holding it up thats a different issue. I just wouldn't want the OP to end up with a burned up bearing and axle because something wasn't correct so I questioned it.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Id assume it would have fit with finess just have to have the right angle on the shaft and splines lined up just perfect

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd suspect 40 degrees or so didn't make much difference in axle OD and bearing ID. Freezer vs. 200 degree oven, yes; but not 30 vs. 70, or even 25 vs. 75.

Still, the problem was kinda strange. Might have been on the carrier end.

jd_boggs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
3.9L
What happens when it warms up? I would be concerned that I
have the wrong bearings.

I pre fitted the bearings on an axle while on the bench same with the seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24