asstance with finding wheel spacers for 77 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slammedsi

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Like the title says, I'm looking to get the front wheels out a tad further. I haven't had much luck and what I have found are so over priced its crazy. Any help would be great.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Spacers for trucks are expensive, mainly because of the weight of the vehicle. I don't recommend spacer because they will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

slammedsi

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Spacers for trucks are expensive, mainly because of the weight of the vehicle. I don't recommend spacer because they will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

Thanks for the tip. I run them on my mud truck but it is 8 lug. I'm looking for about a 1 inch spacer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't recommend spacer because they will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

Not really. It's no different than running a wheel with less offset which has been done millions of times and there's no noticeable difference in wheel bearing life.

It's also no different than running a stock wheel, if the spacer is used to compensate for a non-stock wheel with more backspacing.

slammedsi

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks bucket. I agree with you 100% but to save my breath I didn't say anything. I've run them on my 85 mud truck for 5 years with no ill affect.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
It is not wasting your breath to speak up. We have a fair exchange of inforamtion here and if something I said is inaccurate then it needs to be corrected.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It is not wasting your breath to speak up. We have a fair exchange of inforamtion here and if something I said is inaccurate then it needs to be corrected.

I'll agree W Guardian on the above statement. You're a bit new here Robert, but feel free to speak up. We're pretty laid back here and tolerate alot with loose rules, but don't tolerate name calling, calling people stupid, or child like arguments. We do have disagreements like adults though, and they are actually encouraged. Noone wants to be passing bad info, and someone may have heard something that is wrong or maybe technology has changed, or new products may become available that someone isn't aware of that exists now so feel free to speak up. Usually the person who is right is going to get backed up by 2 or 3 others. Whether that changes an opinion or not, that's up the individual.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

slammedsi

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

I'll agree W Guardian on the above statement. You're a bit new here Robert, but feel free to speak up. We're pretty laid back here and tolerate alot with loose rules, but don't tolerate name calling, calling people stupid, or child like arguments. We do have disagreements like adults though, and they are actually encouraged. Noone wants to be passing bad info, and someone may have heard something that is wrong or maybe technology has changed, or new products may become available that someone isn't aware of that exists now so feel free to speak up. Usually the person who is right is going to get backed up by 2 or 3 others. Whether that changes an opinion or not, that's up the individual.

Thank you guys. I didn't know how this forum is run. I have been on several that will jump at the bit to cast off and new member for trying to correct a Sr member.

You're not kidding, these things aren't cheap. Seems Wheel Centric is $150 a pair, and Hub Centric is $100 a pair at this place. Not sure if that's better than you've found so far or not. Made in USA by Alcoa though. I'd say they have to be of good quality.

http://wheeladapter.com/wheel_spacers.php

Seems Summit has some for $17-$19 a piece. Not sure if they'll work for you though.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Wheels-Tires/Part-Type/Wheel-Spacers/

Thanks for your help on the summit site. I had forgotten to check there site. I did manage to find a set on a jeep site, 60 for two. Which is all i need. But i feel weird buying from them haha. Summit seems to have what i need. So i will bet i just order them from there. Thanks for all your help. Awesome site!

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
id just like to throw my 2 cents in, those cheap summit ones are bad, the ones like that eliminate thread length to hold your tire on and could potentially cause a break. the ones you want bolt on to your studs and then provide new studs for your tires to bolt onto. even if all you need is half an inch of spacer thets half an inch of thread thats not holding your wheel on anymore. they put leverage farther out to towards the tip possibly causing the bolts to sheer off in a high stress situations,

spacers are not something you want to go cheep on....

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
id just like to throw my 2 cents in, those cheap summit ones are bad, the ones like that eliminate thread length to hold your tire on and could potentially cause a break. the ones you want bolt on to your studs and then provide new studs for your tires to bolt onto. even if all you need is half an inch of spacer thets half an inch of thread thats not holding your wheel on anymore. they put leverage farther out to towards the tip possibly causing the bolts to sheer off in a high stress situations,

spacers are not something you want to go cheep on....

I agree completely. The problem is most wheels require a bolt-on spacer that's at least as thick as the studs are long. I don't have a problem running a spacer if it's 3/16's or less, but it has to be quality and there has to be enough stud length. Beyond that, you're looking at a bolt-on spacer of an inch thick or more.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I agree completely. The problem is most wheels require a bolt-on spacer that's at least as thick as the studs are long. I don't have a problem running a spacer if it's 3/16's or less, but it has to be quality and there has to be enough stud length. Beyond that, you're looking at a bolt-on spacer of an inch thick or more.

they dont have to be an inch thick, you can always grind down the protruding studs without eliminating strength. although that would eliminate the possibility of getting a wheel with a different offset but still bolt ons are the way to go. i wouldent even risk 3/16th of an inch but thats just a personal oppinion, im sure up to 3/16th is safe.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
they dont have to be an inch thick, you can always grind down the protruding studs without eliminating strength. although that would eliminate the possibility of getting a wheel with a different offset but still bolt ons are the way to go. i wouldent even risk 3/16th of an inch but thats just a personal oppinion, im sure up to 3/16th is safe.

The spacer seat and lugnut are equal to about and inch, so no grinding that down.

FWIW, some 3rd gen F-bodies came from the factory with steel shim wheel spacers in the rear. I think as long as the spacers aren't thick enough to make the wheels no longer hub-centric, it's OK. That brings up another point. I only will use slide-on spacers with a factory type hub-centric wheel. For instance, mounting 15x7 Camaro wheels on an S-10, you need just a smidge of clearance on the front so the inner wheel weights won't get wiped off.

slammedsi

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I agree with using the bolt on type. I wouldn't feel safe any other way. I would think its mandatory with how thick of a spacer I want to run. I would like to use a one inch spacer but I think a 3/4 inch would work to. I'm trying to get the front wheel out to the finders edge. Running 15x7 rally wheel with 225/70/15 tires on the front. I was trying to get the stagered look, but with the wheel so far in the wheel well it just dosent look right to me.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
well im sorry to say your gonna have to spend around 150 for a set, check spyder tracks (or whatever its called) they are a really good brand and should have what you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30