Anyone running the ProFlo4XT FI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was wondering what you used for accelerator cable, cruise control or air intake plumbing. I know its about 3" but where did you find the plumbing? I'm guessing the stock cable will work, cruise will have to be aftermarket and intake plumbing.....no idea.

Every posting around the web I find on it, seems to be a common question with no answers.

Thx.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Looks like Lokar makes the cable kits and a specific bracket kit for the Pro Flow. https://www.lokar.com/assets/instructions/INS0173-Edelbrock-Pro-Flo-XT-Bracket.pdf

I'd recommend using the GMT-400 cruise control module if you want cruise. It's pretty standard to use it for LS swaps and it should work the same way for this application. You would just need to put a pass-through VSS sensor to provide a VSS signal. I doubt the actual pulse amount is important, since you don't care for it to see the actual vehicle speed, just how much it is changing. You would only need VSS, Power, Ground, and the standard cruise control inputs.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like Lokar makes the cable kits and a specific bracket kit for the Pro Flow. https://www.lokar.com/assets/instructions/INS0173-Edelbrock-Pro-Flo-XT-Bracket.pdf

I'd recommend using the GMT-400 cruise control module if you want cruise. It's pretty standard to use it for LS swaps and it should work the same way for this application. You would just need to put a pass-through VSS sensor to provide a VSS signal. I doubt the actual pulse amount is important, since you don't care for it to see the actual vehicle speed, just how much it is changing. You would only need VSS, Power, Ground, and the standard cruise control inputs.

Perfect! I bought the Lokar setup for the trans cable - my original was so bastardized I had no idea what actually came with the truck and what was cobbled.

Didn't know they made an official kit. The cruise info is also great!

Love this site. :hat:

Thanks much!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I've never seen anyone using it, but it looks strikingly similar to the Ramjet 350 stuff that Chevrolet performance has been selling for a long time. Its significantly cheaper, which is nice. I would think it's maybe not ideal for a truck doing truck stuff, but if you have a lighter C10 or something that you are going to be revving out a bit more, it would probably be great. The shorter runners are going Its also going to be ideal if you have Vortec heads due to the lack of the heat crossover.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was going to use the XT on mine but it doesn't fit well with my serpentine conversion. Performance wise, there's no difference between it and the 1450 flange style. As for cruise control, I would use the Dakota Digital unit and call it a day.

Also, save the extra $100 on the crappy tablet in the master kit. It sucks. If you have an android phone it works great and its free. Curious what you plan to do with your fuel system? I've been using a edelbrock remote sump but I'm currently re-doing it the "right" way, hence my post about the fuel sending unit .

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I was going to use the XT on mine but it doesn't fit well with my serpentine conversion. Performance wise, there's no difference between it and the 1450 flange style. As for cruise control, I would use the Dakota Digital unit and call it a day.

Also, save the extra $100 on the crappy tablet in the master kit. It sucks. If you have an android phone it works great and its free. Curious what you plan to do with your fuel system? I've been using a edelbrock remote sump but I'm currently re-doing it the "right" way, hence my post about the fuel sending unit .

Do you mean the 4150 style? Like a Holley Sniper unit?

I would think the biggest difference would be cold weather performance and how its paired to the heads. If you are using a cylinder head with a heat crossover, you are still going to have a harder time starting in cold weather, but drivability once the crossover heats up will still be fine. If you are in a climate that gets COLD or have Vortec heads, or ones without a cross-over, the Pro-flow will have vastly superior cold start and cold drivability manners. If its a fair weather driver or you live in a mild climate, I'd think there would be almost no noticeable difference.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you mean the 4150 style? Like a Holley Sniper unit?

I would think the biggest difference would be cold weather performance and how its paired to the heads. If you are using a cylinder head with a heat crossover, you are still going to have a harder time starting in cold weather, but drivability once the crossover heats up will still be fine. If you are in a climate that gets COLD or have Vortec heads, or ones without a cross-over, the Pro-flow will have vastly superior cold start and cold drivability manners. If its a fair weather driver or you live in a mild climate, I'd think there would be almost no noticeable difference.

I meant 4150 lol. At least I got the right numbers in there!

Yes, I had a Sniper on it. Hated it from day one.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I have the XT 'ram' version. My motor and all the accessories are for a 97. Got a low mileage '97 block for dirt cheap because I wanted a roller cam. Also going serpentine so hope there is no issues there. I knew I was going with Edelbrock so just called their tech line - their main tech is Pierre (?) - he owns 3 speed shops in SoCal so has seen alot more than his job demands. I talked to him - asked him to make my shopping list for a 4x4 truck I was building. When he said their E-Tec heads were CNC port matched to the FI intakes, I was in. He told me the cam, heads, and the exhaust (long 1-5/8 headers) to get. Said he could tell me the HP and torque specs within 20 as he'd built dozens of motors with that setup.

I sort of wish I'd just gotten the carb looking setup for easier air ducting, etc. The ram is nice but there will be all custom hoses and routing. I have enough to mess with.....like walking and chewing gum. lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have the XT 'ram' version. My motor and all the accessories are for a 97. Got a low mileage '97 block for dirt cheap because I wanted a roller cam. Also going serpentine so hope there is no issues there. I knew I was going with Edelbrock so just called their tech line - their main tech is Pierre (?) - he owns 3 speed shops in SoCal so has seen alot more than his job demands. I talked to him - asked him to make my shopping list for a 4x4 truck I was building. When he said their E-Tec heads were CNC port matched to the FI intakes, I was in. He told me the cam, heads, and the exhaust (long 1-5/8 headers) to get. Said he could tell me the HP and torque specs within 20 as he'd built dozens of motors with that setup.

I sort of wish I'd just gotten the carb looking setup for easier air ducting, etc. The ram is nice but there will be all custom hoses and routing. I have enough to mess with.....like walking and chewing gum. lol[/

I believe there are short and tall versions of serpentine brackets. The short ones that came in the cars may allow room? The setup I have off A 94 1500 truck put the belt right in line with the intake of the ram. Electric fans also help create usable space. Good choice on the roller cam. That is my one big regret. Even though my truck came with a brand new GM non-roller crate motor, I HATE the flat tappet lifters. A conversion kit/cam was a pricey option but I wish I had spent the cash and done it.

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Still curious if anyone else is using this setup and what they think of it.

I have been running this setup on my '74 C20 for a couple years now. I opted for the Remote Sump Option as well, since I didn't want to swap out the gas tank for an F.I. Tank. Plus, the system was on sale AND the Remote Sump was FREE with a purchase.

In the past, I had nothing but trouble with the Edelbrock Performer setup. After a near death experience with the Performer Carb Setup, I opted for the EFI Setup. It runs flawlessly! The throttle response is amazing - no stumble or hesitation. It runs like a scalded cat and the kick-down sits me back in my seat. As for cold weather starting, it again operates flawlessly. I can let it sit for (hate to admit it) months, then come out and hit the key and BOOM it fires right up. I told the wife that "the F.I. setup was the single best investment I made in this money pit."

The only issue I have. . . is why I waited so long to do it!

I pulled the original 350 and set it aside. I purchased a 1970 350, 010 high nickle content block engine that still had the crosshatches in the cylinders. I punched it 30 over because the P.O. had taken the air filter off and moisture got in the block. I put a Comp 268H cam in the rebuild and ran freshened up stock heads. I have a set of long tube headers and Billet Serpentine setup driving factory components (no AC). I purchased a Jeep Cherokee Electric Fan and installed it in the factory shroud. . . and challenge anyone to prove it isn't a factory setup!

Installed a bulletproof 700r4 but still need to dial in the 1-2 shift points. Interior, lining the bed and '90 Blazer Power Mirrors should complete the biggest items remaining. . . other than redoing all the body work.... :(

I will never go back to a carburetor setup. I drive a Square for the fun. . . and fiddling with a carb isn't fun. I know a number of owners who get their jollies from having to tinker on their trucks more than they drive them. Iam not one of them. Even my mechanic, who specializes in carburetors for the past 35 years and runs a 9 second normally aspirated big block 65 Nova. . . couldn't get that Edelbrock Performer setup to run right.

I will try to locate any photos I have of the F.I. install. . . we have had a number of data integrity issues in the shop and a lot of photos are gone. . . I may have to take new ones.

This is a partial build thread. . . doesn't have any postings since getting the truck back from the guy doing the "body work" which was a nightmare story for another day. I stopped updating before installing the F.I. setup.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655783

I don't do much on YouTube but here is a video after the engine build. A lot has been done since. Decided against the dropped suspension for the time being.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I had to take new photos. . . excuse the dirty engine bay, it's desperately in need of a Summer cleaning!

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That sounds great. Have heard nothing bad about the Edelbrock system, unlike the Holly kit I heard nothing but bad about (never been a big Holly fan anyways).

I swapped out the tanks for the OE style in tank pumps. I too got the remote sump FOC but peddled it to further offset the cost of the system (which I got a GREAT deal on having Summit's 'anniversary' sale that Jeg's beat by $50).

Any pics of the install would be awesome.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogueakula