Anyone been able to nail down some specs for Mark IV 454 engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I thought the rust looked worse than was mentioned.
no no, it's very light rust because the place I had it stored flooded one week without me knowing, it comes right off with emery paper. Trust me, had a damn heart attack when I opened that door

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Sorry if this isn't the correct area to post such a question, but I couldn't find a general question forum. Then again, I am a ridiculously stupid person, so odds are I am in fact in the wrong area. Again, my apologies.

Now, I know that the 454s that were in trucks were pretty disappointing in regards to how much power they made in relation to their displacement. But the issue I'm having is finding specific power specs for it. I've found wildly different claims, anywhere from 230 hp - 400hp. I have little doubt the truth lies somewhere pretty near the lower end of that spectrum, but I would really like to hear the knowledge that you guys have, because I know it damn sure is far more vast and complete than mine. And all the interactions I've had with you guys are simply awesome. You guys are some of the kindest, most helpful people around, so this is where I ask for your help.

How much power/torque does a factory Mark IV 454 make? I know that the heads can make a big difference, and I think these ones are "Large Oval" heads, but tbh its been a bit since I've seen the block as its in storage atm.

And if you'll tolerate some blasphemous bench racing, how much power gains would you typically expect with the mods I'll be doing? The mods are are: Headers and dual exhaust, 750cfm Quadrajet, MSD ignition system, Lunati barebones series cam (PN# 10110101LK), and an Edlebrock Performer intake manifold?

Thanks for any and all help!

EDIT: I just felt it was prudent to say I'm not a Horsepower/Torque guy. These figures should not, and will not define my build or how I enjoy it. This is just because I am curious, and kinda wonder how much difference the mods would make. Regardless of what answers may be given to me, this is the path I've chosen, and the path I will take.

Production specs for a mid 80's 454 (1983 in this case) can be found here:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1983-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Now, I know that the 454s that were in trucks were pretty disappointing in regards to how much power they made in relation to their displacement.

Keep in mind that, in the truck world, when the words “Heavy Duty” are used it is in the context of better durability and longer life, not in terms of peak power output.

That translates into four bolt mains, lower compression, smaller carbs/fuel management, smaller ports in the head, etc, all of which are kind of the opposite of what you would normally do for a high performance build.

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef