Any way to tell if your a/c is running R!2 or 134a?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
The A/C in my 85 stopped working last year but I never bothered with it since I don't drive it much. Lately I've been thinking that I should charge it up and get it working just because. I do have some R12, but when I pulled the cap off the port it has the quick connect fitting like 134a uses.
Would it be safe to conclude that the system was converted to 134a by a previous owner? and is there anyway of telling whats in the system? :shrug:

Thanks

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
If it has an adapter then it was converted. But no way to tell without pulling everything apart on what was used and what oil is inside.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Thanks Viktor, Would you use straight refrigerant or refrigerant with oil? The system has no noticeable leaks..
And if I was to do nothing and waited to next year, is there any chance of doing harm to the system components if it has little to no charge in the system?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
if it is loosing charge, then there must be a leak somewhere. This also would be a point of moisture entry once pressure is lost. It would be recommended to at least replace the dryer and the orifice tube. Can blow out the system and do a fresh fill of oil and refrigerant at that time. Otherwise just try a regular 134 fill and hope for best. Get a can with a dye in it to help find the leak.
Autozone rents gauges and vacuum pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86 squared