any tips for removing stripped flexplate/flywheel bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
this thread can be deleted now I got mine fixed.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Weellllllllll? How didja get em loose? Do tell! do tell!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
didn't my starter was screwed up so I said screw the flexplate bolts, no need to remove em if the flywheel was and IS fine.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:think:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
?? yea I left em alone, starter was the problem, fixed it, now I gotta put the trans and t-case back in it.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
This may be pretty extreme, but I had to do it to on a lawn mower recently. Got a free 6.5 hp B&S, self-propelled w/bag, but the PO had put on an aftermarket blade, and it started slipping once it hit the grass. First he used his impact wrench to "get it good & tight". When that didn't work, he tried to use it again to get the bolt out. Using his impact wrench on the 1/8" thick bolt head just chewed it all to hell. Damn thing ran GOOD, so I was determined not to let it go. First I soaked the bolt, of course. Next, I took a dremel and cut two opposite sides flat (making the head a rectangle. Then clamped on a large vise grip tight as I could squeeze it, then slide a breaker bar over that. One shove, and she came spinning right out. Maybe that would work? If i hadn't loaned my pipe wrench out and the bolt head hadn't been so shallow, I probably would have used that instead of vise grips. I think I could have omitted the breaker bar if I had.

Edit: Just saw you fixed it, sooooooo this would be for future reference. LOL!

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm glad you got her going again, but those bolts are probably a tiicking time bomb now. I would go ahead and get them out while you have it apart, rather than wait for one (or two) of those compromised bolts to fail at some later date.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
why would they be a ticking time bomb when the edges of the head just rounded? they are all still tight i checked to be sure.

If something happens they do need to come out then the whole motor is getting pulled and somebody is doing it for me, unless I cut em off myself and try to get em out. Aint happeneing right now though.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
$100 says that you used a cheap socket on it. its either not got the hex cut all the way to the end of the socket, or its 12 point. been there done that. strike an arc on the bolt head, and immediately go to the QUALITY socket. striking an arc should heat it up enough to come out without much issue. the fact that the heads on the bolts are so much thinner than normal doesn't help matters.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know what you mean, been there done that many times but NO in this case is was a snap-on impact socket, 14mm six point and the hex started right at the end no taper down into it or anything.

cupp_cody

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
88 / 79
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Soak those bitchs in pb blaster or triflow they work amazing and let them sit like an hour and bust out the welder before you break the heads of the bolts ******* around anymore they will come right off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1