Any engine guys on here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
GOT THIS CHEVY 454V8 BIG BLOCK.

when i got it.i found the distributor -was so retarded..the gas was going out the pipes..no power..i found if i move the distributor..advance it.i can get the motor.to run.big time strong...but when it gets warmed up and i stop some where.it cranks.like it is out of time..big time.i have never.ran in to anything like this..

and the guy that installed this engine.2005.did not put a timing..tab on the timing chain.cover.got to put one on it.i have to retard the distributor.so it can crank up.is there a better set up.is there a engine site or another site.i should go too..where they-talk about engine set ups..i keep rescuing these..neglected

vehicles.owned by morons..the owner.told me he was getting four miles to a gallon...like duh.i cant believe the truck was even running.with it so retarded.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Jesus Christ, you should not have gas running out of the tailpipes. That has nothing to do with timing. o.0

Sounds like a carb issue. Get a timing cover from a junkyard or do the timing by ear. Or get an aftermarket timing cover.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
What carb does it have?

I had the same issue with mine, it kinda sounds like its getting hot and boiling the gasoline out of the bowls.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are any of the wires crossed, or maybe the dis. Is off 1 tooth.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i just ment that the thing was getting bad gas mileage..running rich..i know i got too install a timing tab.i have been doing other things to it.we have been having 100 degree days..so i have not been working on it too much..i have read a lot about vacuum advance..and it looks like they could never get it right and that is why they went..to fuel injection and computers..i do not want too be controled by a computer..i guess i will tear out the vacauum advance and maybe install a new one..try different things..

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would say carb issue, floats out of adjustment causing flooding, idle air screws out of adjustment, fouling plugs out, leaky throttle shaft letting fuel in so no matter how much you adjust it, it'll never be right (if it's an older carb with a lot of play at the throttle shaft). If it's a quadrajet in my opinion they're hard to adjust, which is why I went with the Edelbrock. I know what ya mean about the heat, cant get away from it when it's on.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i see the deal about the vacuum guages..i had one that did the carb.and i lost it.i guess it is time to replace it with a better one..that does all of those other engine things..too

82chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465
Read the link and will be buying a vacuum gauge this week. Never knew they could tell you so much about an engine.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If its running rich you need to turn the air and fuel screws in. Set them to your elevaton. They should both be the same.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Make sure you get the right timing tab. I am fairly certain there are 2 different ones and they depend on what size the harmonic balancer is if I recall correctly. Its important too cuz the the timing mark is in different spots, so yes it matters. Easy to install though. Just remove 2 timing cover bolts. Worse part is, might have to remove the balancer to get to them.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I`ve had to live without a timing tab before...just advance the tming till it starts pingin, then back it off half a terminal till it stops.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I`ve had to live without a timing tab before...just advance the tming till it starts pingin, then back it off half a terminal till it stops.

Good way of putting it. :waytogo:

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i changed the distributor-vacuum advance hose.to the ported connection on the carb.right hand side..it seems to be working better..but i am thinking a new distributor with adjustable vacuum advance and timing.pointer and degree tape..too get it right

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77