anti sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Your Suburban would lean so much, I am not sure you would like its cornering performance.

My buddy had the sway bar disconnects on his rubicon, I took a ride in it on the street and it was scary as hell. Every corner felt like it was falling over.
Hmmm. Driving across that field every day I thought it would smooth the side to side bounce out a bit through the pits and ruts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
****, I might take mine off. :)

For what you use your Burb for, I'd keep it on Dawg. Mostly street driving, and you also do more towing where keeping body roll stable can be important. I'd only recommend taking it off for someone who is into moderate to heavy off roading or mudding. Just to go play in the dirt, or driving in snow, I'd leave it on. JMO

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, I am convinced then. I don't want it to be dangerous towing the boat. :handshake:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, I am convinced then. I don't want it to be dangerous towing the boat. :handshake:

I sure would. If you've ever been towing a trailer at 70-75mph and had it start whipping around like a snake, you'll be very happy to have that front stabilizer bar aka anti sway bar. Expecially on a boat with the motor and heavier weight on the ass end of the trailer which makes it even harder to control, and easier to turn into a snake. All this is actually more common on rear coil spring vehicles like Ford Expeditions, Tahoes and newer Burbs.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thread jack. I think they make a rear sway bar as well? Would adding one of those benefit my truck on the road? I have the front one.

SHes a little top heavy cornering and wondered if it would keep her on all 4's

Yes, it would help a lot, especially when towing.

Back to the original topic, I chose to leave the sway bar on my lifted 4x4 Burb. Sure it would still drive OK without it, but I haul my family in it and don't want to take the chance in case there's ever an emergency swerve on the highway. If it were just a play toy, the sway bar would be long gone.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hmmm. Driving across that field every day I thought it would smooth the side to side bounce out a bit through the pits and ruts.

Leave it on....trust me. I would love to find a rear kit, but I haven`t seen any for the K`s

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Leave it on....trust me. I would love to find a rear kit, but I haven`t seen any for the K`s

Rear anti sway or stabilizer bar isn't near as crtitical for a leaf spring rear end as it would be for a coil spring rear end. The leafs can actually hold their position fairly well in most cases, but a body sitting on top of coil springs is like standing on stilts.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

JCW used to sell them.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Wondering if putting the anti sway bar back on my truck would benefit it. I rarely drive it on the freeway, and I tow it to the trails with my 07 silverado. I have a 6 inch lift and 35 s would it limit my suspension travel, or help?

All the lifted trucks I have owned and the ones I still own have had the sway bars tossed in the trash and I tow all the time with them and drive down the hwy. with them at 75 mph + with no issue's at all. Maybe it would not be a good idea with stock springs in the front but with skyjacker soft ride springs ,(which I run on all my stuff) you dont even know the sway bar is gone.

:patriot::patriot:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All the lifted trucks I have owned and the ones I still own have had the sway bars tossed in the trash and I tow all the time with them and drive down the hwy. with them at 75 mph + with no issue's at all. Maybe it would not be a good idea with stock springs in the front but with skyjacker soft ride springs ,(which I run on all my stuff) you dont even know the sway bar is gone.

:patriot::patriot:

What about cornering, even at 10 mph. I removed the sway bar from my 01 and it felt like it'd tip over. Same for the 86

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
What about cornering, even at 10 mph. I removed the sway bar from my 01 and it felt like it'd tip over. Same for the 86

You are talking about three totally different trucks.Your 01 and your 86 c-20 (2 wheel drive) are not even the same suspension a 78 k-10.A 4wd leaf spring truck with any aftermarket lift springs in the front really does not need a sway bar at all. If you must keep it , (for extra wieght in the front , lol..)you should run a drop down kit with it . And finally , yes it will affect suspension travel. I picked up a beat up 77 k-10 long bed with a 6" lift and 35's with a hot dog 383 in it for a beater off road , and on road .I wipped the truck for a while and then I took the sway bar off and it did flex better off road and still drove great on road as well.All of my 4x4 square's are lifted and have no sway bars and they haul ass down the hwy. all the time , (I love driving them)

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Only reason I would see to retain the sway bar is if your local inspection laws prohibit its removal. I ran into that when mine had 4" lift. Now that I have antique tags it is exempt. Only time I came close to tipping mine with 4" lift I was powersliding it at about 40 mph on a dirt road and caught a series of potholes wrong. Basically pushing the limit to see what it would take and honestly I dont see where a sway bar would have prevented that. With the 6" lift and 38s I recently was giving it pure hell around a street corner about 40 mph and it felt more like the Baja trucks where at the beginning of the race there is some street time before they hit the desert, and they always seem to have their wheels planted firmly on the ground in the corners. It had some pitch to it but not so much it felt tippy, more like the front axle was able to reach better from more droop and keep contact. Now a non-lifted truck with negative arch front leafs, I would want to keep the sway bar. Theres only like 2 springs in the pack right? A Suburban or Blazer I think I would try harder to retain the sway bar, simply because of the dramatic increase of weight above the center of gravity from all the body sheet metal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also, the stiffer your front springs are on a 4x4, the least likely you are to need a sway bar. I see and hear some of these 4 and 6 lift springs seem pretty stiff. Coil spring front end like a 2wd, I'd for sure keep or add a sway bar if you didn't get it. But also in those 2wd trucks you're not lifting it, and not worried about articulation.

For those who don't know, NO not all squares came OEM with a sway bar. The holes are there to easily add it, if you want grind the rivets off another truck to get the brackets and rob the sway bar. I did on one of the trucks I scrapped cuz one of the half tons didn't come with a sway bar and I intended on adding it. I think now its time to put in on CL with all the brackets and hardware.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '84 never had a sway bar, but it rides nice and it's not a corner carver, so it can stay just as it is.

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
it well depend on how the lift was done..i had a wrangler with 6in spring over lift..36x15.50x15 bias Irocs drove it daily for over a year...no sway bars..

Have yet to ****** with a GM but i might just to see

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugRedC10