another exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys, I'm about to do the headers on the C20. Are the crossmembers the same from the C10 to the C20's? You know, where one pipe has to go underneath and the other over.

heres a pic of what I mean. This was on my black 86, before I had bigger 2.5" pipe coming off the mufflers. You can see how one pipe has to go above and one below.
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like the crossmember is the same under my C20 as it was under that c10 86.

If so, do they make a crossmember you can buy have both pipes routed above the 'member? I dont like the look of the truck from the passenger side when you can see the exhaust pipe hanging out.

Thanks!

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
No offense but I think you amy need a new exaust guy. The shop we have up hear is bad ass I dont think i have ever seen him run the pipe under the crossmember.
but as far as any differences for them from a 10 to a 20 I cant see there being any differences.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No offense but I think you amy need a new exaust guy. The shop we have up hear is bad ass I dont think i have ever seen him run the pipe under the crossmember.
but as far as any differences for them from a 10 to a 20 I cant see there being any differences.

Look at the far side of that crossmember. Look how low the truck header comes down and how high the member is. You think you could get a pipe above that?

The exhaust in that picture in my op wasn't done by my muffler man, that's what came on the truck.

There is a whole thread dedicated to this problem on another forum, I just can't remember what site it is

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
NOPE I know I cant but I know the shop here can and does. Wish i had pictures of my old one

Look at the far side of that crossmember. Look how low the truck header comes down and how high the member is. You think you could get a pipe above that?

The exhaust in that picture in my op wasn't done by my muffler man, that's what came on the truck.

There is a whole thread dedicated to this problem on another forum, I just can't remember what site it is

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
NOPE I know I cant but I know the shop here can and does. Wish i had pictures of my old one

wow....that'd be a pretty sharp upward angle to get above that crossmember. If you find that pic definitely post it up. My exhaust is run the same was the black '86 posting in the original post. :think:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That aint a bad price on that new crss member. It's a shame how low those header collectors come down. Shorty headers would have given you a better angle of attack to fit over the crossmember, but like pops said, a good fabricator can make that pipe run over it.

Even if the pipe has an s bend in it I can't see that restricting flow that bad, imo....

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That aint a bad price on that new crss member. It's a shame how low those header collectors come down. Shorty headers would have given you a better angle of attack to fit over the crossmember, but like pops said, a good fabricator can make that pipe run over it.

Even if the pipe has an s bend in it I can't see that restricting flow that bad, imo....

Honestly I'd have to see it. I can't see how you could make a bend fit over that AND expect it to flow half ass decent. I mean look at the size of the "s" on the drivers side, imagine one twice that extreme but with bigger pipe on the other side. I'm learning There's a reason there is 100 threads on this on other sites.

As a journeyman electrician, I can bend pipe. Pretty damn good too, but I wouldnt attempt that mainly because of flow issues.

As for shorty headers, no. Lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't know then brother, like I said, htat new crossmember aint a bad price, wonder how it would look and if it would even help with that. :hmm:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah it's not a bad price, and I would buy it but I need proof it works. I'll have to wt off this iPhone and do some hardcore searching on the desktop.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Looks like that cross member was made for the stock Y-pipe. Might wanna look into a 4x4 cross member. If you do end up needing that sharp of a bend make sure it's mandrel bent. Otherwise I think the pipe would burn out pretty quick in that tight of a bend. Is it possible those are 4x4 headers? They drop pretty low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Khampton96