another elco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Went to change an oil pan gasket and ended up doing all the bearings, oil pump, front and rear seals, timing cover seal, intake and valve seals. Then back to running moving things
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Some throttle linkage brackets been a bit wrong from when I changed to electric choke. Was going to buy a new one. But after looking at the prices, modified original had to work. Washers and a welder to the rescue.

Now been thinking about AC. It lost all charge completely, so guessing not going to get away with just a recharge this time

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Power steering pump was now biggest offender of leaking fluid after steering box/trans/engine been resealed. Installed all new seals. Left the high pressure hose alone for now as most leaks appeared to come from pump it self.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@yevgenievich,

Do you have a big "S" on your chest. I have a thousand questions. I read all of this build. It was so interesting to see the progress. Better than my snail pace build on just my column. But then again my physical issues are getting worse now where I can't hardly do anything and it takes me days to recoop. I get it done if you like watching paint dry. You did do an excellent job replacing the floor. And so did you find a carb that worked or did you just finish rebuilding that one you were working on? Also to, what did you do to seal the floor in the bed behind the back window? Did you wash it out to clean it to get all the loose rust out before you sealed it back up again? Was that more seam sealer you put in that compartment at the front of the bed? And is this a '70 elco? I know the one I've always wanted was a '69, and I don't like the flat front of the '70's ones, and there was one year that had a different front on it and that was the '70 and '71? So is this a '70? Did you wash that pig of a trans. while you had the floor out lol? Or is it still going, "oink! where's more mud?"

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@yevgenievich,
What are we supposed to be looking at on this last pic looking down inside the power steering pump?
It looks like some kind of damage in there or some kind of grease or something. Are those vanes messed up? And did you fix whatever was wrong with it? I've replaced the pump before but never did get into it.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@yevgenievich,
What did you do to the heads? You post says you changed the valve seals. What did you use? I have Viton rubber seals on my 350. They last a very long time and hold up better than stock, and are not the umbrella kind. I wanted Teflon on my stems at first but the Viton was recommended to me on the fact they hold up better since I wasn't going to race my engine.
And how much did you pay for your elco? It was in pretty bad shape when you got it, so what was the deal, and did the guy tell you about all that was wrong with it before you bought it? I'm not suggesting he tried to rip you off or anything, but did he know how bad it was? That was funny what @shiftpro said, "...here come the Flintstones..."! I'm surprised you didn't fall through the floor driving home. Then it would have been the Flintstones trying to stop by putting your feet down on the street to brake.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
@Raider L
In short, elco was advertised as solid driving thing that needed seatbelts and seat mounted. Was very far from description. Some price came down due to floors as that was obvious and the rest is surprise. It was priced around $4700 if i remember correctly, asking was $8k. I actually had someone else pick it up for me, so was not a very throughout inspection. It does have a factory 12 bolt, factory AC(leaks) and someone put in a 4 bolt main 350 in it. It is 1971. I prefer the 69 look a lot more and will gladly trade for one. 72 has a better look as well, but not a 73+

Actually I feel the thing has been very slow to get anything done as there are three or four other vehicles in between.
On the power steering pump, was just a reassembly. No damage inside, but everything was black from fluid never being changed. Cleaned it and back together with new seals. Blue stuff is assembly grease.
On the valve seals, i used FEL-PRO SS 72527 for intake and FEL-PRO SS 72526 for exhaust
I have been very lazy in regards to drive train cleaning on this vehicle, so only required things were cleaned on engine and trans. Engine block and trans case are still very well coated with oil crud, but at least no new oil is leaking.

On any body sealing, i use epoxy primer followed by seam sealer. was thinking of adding drains to the bed, but ran out of time. It definitely holds water now if parked the wrong direction on a hill.

Generally been happy about the quadrajet. I did the full set up and rebuild with electric choke and if fuel has not evaporated it starts almost instantly. Had to replace the vacuum thing on the distributor as old one had a failed diaphragm and had no vacuum advance.

I have a bad habit of finding the cheapest vehicles of some type that has potential and buying it sight unseen almost. (couple of c10s, suburbans, corvettes, elco, turbo stealth, probably others i am forgetting)

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Getting a but brave, parking on concrete without cardboard under it.
She's turning into a real beauty.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Finally bought new tires for front, and started putting together a headlight upgrade. Currently lights only work dimly for 5min before overheating the switch. Bought some cibie e spec lights with good bulbs and picked out a relay/fuse box to run them. Relay box came from a car I parted out a while ago. Originally was going to put together a new one, but too many pieces out of stock for the ones I was looking at.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Nothing exciting, another long past due task, repack front wheel bearings and set them up correctly. Had too much play prior. Hopefully will get some night headlight shots tomorrow to start comparison on headlight changes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey