annoying rattles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muleys86

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
hello all, on my 86 Scottsdale I have a rattle in the parking brake assembly, worse than a can of marbles. Anyone have this issue and how did you fix it?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Muley

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Maybe some of the e-brake return springs (in the drums and on the cables) are broken/weak - or more likely, the actuating cables are not free to move in their sheathing. Or it may be that the equalizer needs to be adjusted. Another frequent failure point is the connector between the equalizer and the front common cable. Or the tensioning spring where the common cable passes through the LH forward cab mount. It could simply be that the pedal assembly is damaged.

But, whatever the problem is, you are there - so you'll need to be the one to first determine at least the general area. And, then someone can help you fix it. IOW try to be more specific and also provide some history. For example, it would be helpful if we knew what you have already attempted to repair and whether the e-brake is currently functioning .

Here's the thing, the foot pedal assembly is dependent on the actuating cables being intact and the various springs being taut enough to keep the pedal from bouncing around. If that is even what you are talking about - I am only guessing. When you reef down on the pedal, the springs/cables are tensioned and that kind of locks the mechanism in place. And - if everything is working as designed - even when you reach down and pop the handle there is still sufficient tension to prevent the pedal and operator from moving.

Here are a few things to look at:

You must be registered for see images attach

muleys86

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
e brake

chengny, the rattle is definitely at the foot pedal assy under the dash is the culprit. Havent had a chance to look at it, cant twist my large frame (gut) under the dash to see. It sounds as if a rubber bushing or bumper is missing.
Gonna be installing shocks soon so I"ll check it out. I just thought maybe somebody had this issue too. Thank you for your help. Muley

muleys86

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
e brake rattle

After looking at the pic of the parking brake assembly, maybe I should remove it to check closer at the problem. Any precautions needed before this is attempted? Maybe tension on the cables or ??? Guys, I appreciate any ideas
Muley

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I have a similar problem. It was bad when I had a serious vibration coming from my rear brakes. Turns out the three mounting bolts for the pedal assembly are loose. One of these days I'll get around to tightening them up.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Image and text from the 1986 Service Manual:

And some photos:

I couldn't find a picture of the bolt - that holds the frame to the side wall. But I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Just removed an e-brake assembly recently - took about 10 minutes.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
While we're on the subject of parking brakes....Is there a way to adjust the pedal to set the brake before it goes all the way to the floor like mine does?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
E-brake adjustment for 1977 C/K:

muleys86

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
My lucky day! The e brake pedal assy has a bolt that was loose. My brother tightened it up and no more rattle. Happy day! Muley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus