AMC 258 HEI conversion timing issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
On my '82 Jeep Scrambler, I just rebuilt the AMC 258, and installed a GM style HEI distributor and a Motorcraft 2100 carburetor. I seemed to have gotten the timing perfect initially, but sometimes it seems to change. The distributor seems tight and does not seem to be moving. What else could make timing inconsistent? Thanks.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
On my '82 Jeep Scrambler, I just rebuilt the AMC 258, and installed a GM style HEI distributor and a Motorcraft 2100 carburetor. I seemed to have gotten the timing perfect initially, but sometimes it seems to change. The distributor seems tight and does not seem to be moving. What else could make timing inconsistent? Thanks.
Well a sloppy timing chain, but generally you'll be able to actually see the timing bounce around when your watching it on a timing light.

If the mechanical advance is sticking that can make it appear to change.

If the gear on the distributor or the camshaft is worn.

That's what I can think of. Is this one of the no-name HEI distributor conversions or is this a Davis unit?

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Well a sloppy timing chain, but generally you'll be able to actually see the timing bounce around when your watching it on a timing light.

If the mechanical advance is sticking that can make it appear to change.

If the gear on the distributor or the camshaft is worn.

That's what I can think of. Is this one of the no-name HEI distributor conversions or is this a Davis unit?

This is whatever unit JEGs sells (This engine came with a different HEI unit of unknown origin when I got it). The timing chain is new and the timing light does not show evidence of bouncing. Are the Davis units better quality?

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
It's also worth noting that the subtle timing changes are not instant. They only seem to happen after extended driving sessions.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
This is whatever unit JEGs sells (This engine came with a different HEI unit of unknown origin when I got it). The timing chain is new and the timing light does not show evidence of bouncing. Are the Davis units better quality?
Davis vs JEGs? No idea. As I have zero experience with the JEGs units. Certainly Davis would be better than no name brand brought off E-bay. I know Davis is good quality.
It's also worth noting that the subtle timing changes are not instant. They only seem to happen after extended driving sessions.
So how much change is there, and does it advance or retard. Will it go back to where it was after the engine cools off? What about the balancer pully could it be slipping?

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
The cam shaft and distributor gear are both brand new, I am also currently running a vacuum advance. I'll check the balancer pulley. Thanks for the suggestions @SirRobyn0

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
My 82 CJ-7 has a 258 AMC as well, and i too HEI swapped it. I seemed to get it left first shot, runs pretty good. Could just take another stab at it.

An inconsistent idle will do that also. Try holding it at a RPM above idle, and see if it moves.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
One item to check is to make sure the idle is very low (maybe 600-650 or lower), with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged when you measure base timing. Some aftermarket distributors start mechanical advance early and it ramps up quickly. A small difference in idle speed might be enough to start getting some mechanical advance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef