Always working alone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I grew up turning wrenches with my grandad and as time moved on, he became more of a supervisor as I worked on stuff. Mostly I work alone, unless I am teaching or its just something I can't do on my own and need an extra set of hands.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I usually work on my stuff alone. Cause usually when buddies come over, we end up doing more beer drinking than anything, either while looking at a car/truck, sitting around a fire, or shooting at targets.

But I am pretty lucky that I have a lot of friends that have the same interests as me. And my wife is always willing to be a second set of hands, if needed.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I usually work alone too. I have a roommate who claims to be a truck guy, I'm figuring out after 15 years of knowing him, if it's more than unbolting, and replacing, it's over his head. He bought an S10 Blazer with a coolant leak in June and has been working on it since. Changed the intake and it still leaked. Changed the head gaskets and had the heads redone. It still leaks coolant from the top end. He hasn't touched it in a month, even though he just needs to put a coolant pressure tester on it and locate the leak. He'd rather yell at his xbox.

I do have a couple other friends that will help, but coordinating time is hard sometimes.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I work alone....yeah, with nobody else... ya know when I work alone, I prefer to be by myself.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I work alone....yeah, with nobody else... ya know when I work alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Nice twist on a great song. :D

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Yeah I go alone too. I do a lot on my own, even ride my dirt bike alone these days. I'm just waiting for my cam to arrive from the grinder to get my '85 K20 back on the road. Weak little 305 I had to do a cowboy rebuild in my car port. Left the block in the truck and just honed it. New rings and bearings, chain and cam regrind to ramp up compression. It's been on propane the last 25 years or so and plan to keep it that way.
Anyway, while waiting for parts and getting the heads done I also repacked front bearings and changed ball joints, all be myself other than BFH to drop the knuckles. So I guess we all need help from time to time.... gotta love the BFHammers!

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
I'm 75 and do most of my own work, have lucked out lately and found a couple of teen age brothers that help me out for teaching them how to do repairs. They are both eager and capable, I just have to wait now and them until they are available. But really non of us should complain, I do have a friend, blind, and he does most of his own work. Luckily he doesn't drive.
Bob

mohawkben

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am lucky i guess i have a wife that's happy to help. Although wrenching usually winds up getting cut short when she's around. Both of my daughters love doing stuff with me and learning whether it is shooting,riding,cooking,or wrenching,even driving my big rig they are always trying to help.but most of the time i enjoy just being alone if i can when wrenching

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
I have 1 best friend that helps me work on my trucks anytime I need help.

this is a picture of her I would be lost with out her. no one else is ever there to help me.

Attachments

• 440.jpg
    440.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 60

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
ok maybe that was not as funny as I thought.

but for real I would be lost with out that truck. I use it for a lot of things lifting and moving parts as well as complete trucks. it works great for putting lift kits on and much more.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

See that number next to where it says Age: - the higher that number gets, the lower will be the number of friends who are willing to help.

Isn't that a fact??? I too have to work on all my **** myself. Part of the reason alot doesn't get done. I have all the friends in the world when they need a box van to move or an engine hoist, a trailer, a transmission rebuilt but when I need some help, noone seems to be able. So guess what? Sold the box truck, sold the trailer, the engine hoist is always broke and in need of a new jack and go *** yourself. Between those kind of friends that I pissed away, the ones that died in car accidents, the ones that have died of natural causes, and the ones who now live out of state, there isn't any help around. My 18 yo son is more interested in chasing ***** and doesn't much give a rats ass. I do good to get him to pump and hold it when I'm bleeding brakes if I'm lucky. Yep, I feel your pain, and true the older you get, the less friends you have.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have 1 best friend that helps me work on my trucks anytime I need help.

this is a picture of her I would be lost with out her. no one else is ever there to help me.

That's what I say everytime I have to move something big and heavy. I have an appliance dolly. He's the best man and friend I have when it comes time. He don't argue, moan or grown and I know how to make him work real well. Even with a bad back I can move just about anything I need to as long as I have him. I need a damn truck like that though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub