Alternator wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Duplicate post

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Gauge is a completely separate circuit and has no effect on the alternator.

the D+ on a SI10 , SI12 is the equivalent of the L terminal on a cs130.

The D+ or L terminal is wired in one of three ways. 1. wired to an ignition source through a resistor wire (there is a special wire that has built in resistance) this is how GM wired the trucks that have a gauge. 2. wired to an ignition source through a charge light (idiot light) the light bulb acts as the resistor in the circuit. 3. wired to an ignition source through a resistor (Delco recommends 35-500 ohms)

The S terminal should be connected to the B+ post on the alt.

Disconnect the plug from the alt. check for voltage on the L wire. there should be voltage there with the key on.

New alternators are usually good, remans i have had 2 in arrow that were bad. If in doubt most parts stores can test an alt off the car.

ok. Then my wiring is correct. I’m going to take the old and new alternator in for testing and see. I have a feeling they are both good and something else is the issue. Driving at ~2000 RPMs this thing is only charging at 12.6v roughly.
I just don’t know what else it could be.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
ok. Then my wiring is correct. I’m going to take the old and new alternator in for testing and see. I have a feeling they are both good and something else is the issue. Driving at ~2000 RPMs this thing is only charging at 12.6v roughly.
I just don’t know what else it could be.

Are you using a test voltmeter or just the dash gauge?

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I know this is old but did your work this out? I have a 1991 suburban v2500. Cs130 Alternator just crapped out. Got a new one and it still doesn't charge, it does nothing until a tap on the throttle then it starts making noise amd getting hot bit still doesn't charge.