Alternator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I need more amps at idle. Thought about doing the CS130 alternator but went with the 12si instead. No wiring to change, just bolt it on and go.

The 12si has better cooling than the 10si. It can also come with the v belt pulley. I ended up changing the pulley anyway as I already had a smaller pulley to kick up the RPMs of the alternator a bit at idle.

picture.php

picture.php

I bought a Delco Remy rebuild for $80. It is a Remy 202661 which is for a 1984 Camaro with the H.O. 305. This even has the back half of the case clocked correctly at the 3:00 position. It is rated at 94 amps.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

The RPM listed in the charts isn't engine RPM, but the alternator RPM. Typically the alternator spins 3 times faster than the engine. To check you need to measure the crank pulley and your alternator pulley then divide the two to get your ratio.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I did the same sort of thing to my truck. I had "problems" with the alternator when I need to remove the intake manifold. When it came time to put it back together I simply grabbed the alternator from my Monte SS and stuck it in the truck. When the Monte needs one, I will either get the trucks old one rebuilt, or simply get a new for the Monte.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02