Alternator issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Will try next
Did you ever tighten the belt more?If you're charging at 14.85 and your complaint is belt squeel.My money would be that the alternator Is okay but the belt is glazed or to loose.

nclatino

Reaction score
First Name
Eduardo
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
Brand new belt , was tight. Only squeak when I plug the excite wire and idling

vintovka

Reaction score
First Name
vin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just called my contact at NAPA not surprisingly NAPA reman'ed power steering pumps for our trucks are remanufactured by Cardone industries....
Mine went out at 45 on a tall 2 lane bridge. Circlip popped out and bottom seal blew out with instant and total fluid loss. Tried for 2 months to get a response until legal got involved. They then immediately replaced pump with one from Redtop gears but cost me labor. In so many non committal words Napa agreed on quality so your mileage may vary.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just called my contact at NAPA not surprisingly NAPA reman'ed power steering pumps for our trucks are remanufactured by Cardone industries....
Last one I bought (for a 5.9 Cummins) was as well. Circa 2013.

vintovka

Reaction score
First Name
vin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Last one I bought (for a 5.9 Cummins) was as well. Circa 2013.
Funny. Just spoke to Dodge dealership re an alternator for a 2004 2500. They said they are having fits with remans and not just Cardone. Guess theres a chinese source that is really turning out garbage. They are quoting on new only $$$$$$$.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Funny. Just spoke to Dodge dealership re an alternator for a 2004 2500. They said they are having fits with remans and not just Cardone. Guess theres a chinese source that is really turning out garbage. They are quoting on new only $$$$$$$.
Don't count on origin of manufacture always being indicative of quality at least not 100% of the time. For example Cardone, does most of it's remanufacturing in the USA :(

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I got another alternator bigger amps will put it sometime this week

You should clean the contacts in the connector and you should clean the connections on the charge wire, battery , junction post on firewall, and you should clean the grounds as well as the bracket where it meets the alternator case. I’d even say replace the charge wire and go to a larger gauge as well.

Resistance reduces the ability of the system wiring to supply the truck it’s power needs and if I recall right the system senses voltage at the junction. If so, that means that the alternator has to put out a lot more than necessary to keep that voltage up when under load.

The si alternators are not like newer ones which have provisions to start upping output slower and gently (not all newer applications but most)

Also how small of a pulley is there on this unit relative to the crank and wp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507