Alternator Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRedMachine

Reaction score
First Name
Jarrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm going insane trying to find the right replacement belt for my alternator. It's all wrong from the previous owner. I need a 6 rib poly belt about 51" long to go crank-water pump-alternator. I have a late 80s 454 that has had the AIR pump removed. Has anyone run in to this problem? TIA.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you know the model and approximate year of the donor vehicle, I have had good luck with going to the Rock Auto site and looking up parts for the donor vehicle. The site will list belt length, width and other details to help figure out if it fits.

Rock Auto also has good prices, but no free shipping, and standard shipping is not fast. I sometimes look up parts there and then end up buying local to get it faster.

I have seen a few GM trucks and cars with a combination of one wide belt and two V-belts, which was apparently a new configuration in the late 80s prior to going to a serpentine belt. I think they used the wide belt to drive the alternator when they started using higher amp alternators and the V-belt didn't work well.

Bruce

K20 78

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you have a oreillys or autozone around you part number k060512 is a 6 rib belt at 51 1/4 in

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
I had a worker at an advanced Auto one time tell me the exact belt I needed.i would think you may just need the one with out the smog pump

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I had a worker at an advanced Auto one time tell me the exact belt I needed.i would think you may just need the one with out the smog pump
Or, he just needs the one he already said he picked up that fit. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30