Air conditioner removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an 86 K10 350 with air conditioning. The A/C did not work when I bought it. I had the system checked and found that all of the components have failed. The cost to replace it is $1500+.

I do not wish to replace it, but I do want to remove all of the a/c components from the engine bay. Is there a good write up on how to do this and any important steps to make sure its done correctly?

Thanks.

Sent from my MB865 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
They told you that all the components have failed? I would get a new shop/mechanic.

The only thing that can really fail on an automotive A/C system is the compressor. Everything else is either a pipe, hose, or heat exchanger - no moving parts, they don't fail unless they leak.

Anyway, the only components - related to the A/C system - that are "in" the engine compartment are the compressor, the comp suction and discharge hoses, and the liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator.

The condenser is in front of the radiator - not in the engine comp. It's out of sight, out of mind.

The evaporator (and the evap housing) are kind of in the engine compartment. But unless you plan on doing firewall modifications the "big black box" is pretty much going to have to stay.

You can save a little room by pulling the receiver out (its the aluminum cylinder that mounts on the evap housing.

After the suct/disch hoses have been disco'd. eliminating the compressor is just a matter of unbolting it from the bracketing. You will need to buy a smaller drive belt for the power steering pump to compensate for the removal of the compressor pulley.

That's about it - except for the evapoator housing. If you want to remove that it will take a lot more time, work and money.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I have an 86 K10 350 with air conditioning. The A/C did not work when I bought it. I had the system checked and found that all of the components have failed. The cost to replace it is $1500+.

I do not wish to replace it, but I do want to remove all of the a/c components from the engine bay. Is there a good write up on how to do this and any important steps to make sure its done correctly?

Thanks.

Sounds like BS to me.

The way to properly diagnose an a/c system is to pull a vacuum on it and see if it'll hold a vacuum. If it holds, charge it and put leak detection dye in it, and then do a sniff test with a freon sniffer. Then drive it for a couple weeks, using the a/c as you normally would, and sniff test it again, and finally, check for leaks with a black light/uv leak detection light.

I would not remove it. A/C work is not difficult to learn about and do on your own. It doesn't take a lot of special tools either. The conversion to R134a refrigerant is easy and doesn't cost a lot. You can purchase a kit from NAPA for probably $50. Install a new receiver-dryer and oriface tube, and you're ready to pull a vacuum on it. Harbor Freight sells an air powered vacuum unit for $10. If you've got an air compressor, it'll power that unit and pull a vacuum on the system.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
They do make a pulley to replace your compressor pulley when you pull the compressor so you don't have to get a smaller belt or reroute it. I put one on my truck when I pulled the compressor.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I own a couple trucks that a previous owner has removed all or most of the AC parts for one reason or another. I would like the AC to work again, but it's very frustrating because everything would need put back in. So, unless you are building a show truck or never intend to sell the truck, please please please don't remove all the AC system! Like was stated, it's not very likely that "all the AC equipment has failed" anyway.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I will look into it more, however the results were the pipes/hoses that go into the condenser were broken completely off. The compressor did not turn on at all and they could not check the evaporator with out being able to run the a/c system.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Fix the hoses, vac, and see if it holds vac...If it does, fill it with a cheapo 134 conversion kit which will include the fill adapter, and the correct retrofit oil.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
They told you that all the components have failed? I would get a new shop/mechanic.

The only thing that can really fail on an automotive A/C system is the compressor. Everything else is either a pipe, hose, or heat exchanger - no moving parts, they don't fail unless they leak.

Anyway, the only components - related to the A/C system - that are "in" the engine compartment are the compressor, the comp suction and discharge hoses, and the liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator.

The condenser is in front of the radiator - not in the engine comp. It's out of sight, out of mind.

The evaporator (and the evap housing) are kind of in the engine compartment. But unless you plan on doing firewall modifications the "big black box" is pretty much going to have to stay.

You can save a little room by pulling the receiver out (its the aluminum cylinder that mounts on the evap housing.

After the suct/disch hoses have been disco'd. eliminating the compressor is just a matter of unbolting it from the bracketing. You will need to buy a smaller drive belt for the power steering pump to compensate for the removal of the compressor pulley.

That's about it - except for the evapoator housing. If you want to remove that it will take a lot more time, work and money.

I bought my 86, 5 years ago, and started restoring it. After I installed a new engine and tranny, I took it to 4 different a/c shops to get a quote. They all said that all my a/c components were bad, and all the quote were way over $1400. I run into this guy stranded in the middle of the night, help him out to get home, turned out he was an automotive a/c tech. Long story short, he fixed my A/C at his house. All it needed was a compressor and a condenser & freon. $300 and a 18 pack of Dos xx. ******* A/C shops are unbelievable!

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, I've noticed, any shop that speacializes in one certain field think they are the only shop that you can take it to. Then they think they can charge you what they want or put parts on that it doesn't need. As mentioned, there is not a lot to the systems. I've always done my own AC work. Currently, I dont have AC on my truck but it's for other reasons. I have all the components to install it back on when needed though.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok. Well I will look at it more closely and see what I can do. If it is can be fixed, I would love having it in the summer.

Thanks for the input everyone.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
The service fittings are usually a big source of leaks on ac systems due to covers being left off or just simply needs the valve core replaced. Ac systems are pretty simple especially since you only have a accumulator and orifice tube system. Suicide Freon kits can actually damage the ac system if all possible use ac gauge and screw in type cans.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I will look into it more, however the results were the pipes/hoses that go into the condenser were broken completely off. The compressor did not turn on at all and they could not check the evaporator with out being able to run the a/c system.

Replace the hoses, and the condenser, chase the wiring for the compressor. It's not a complicated system at all. If you convert to R134a, it's legal, and cheap to charge your own AC system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda