Aftermarket gear indicator fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Goldie Driver,

Cool! I think I like the "L1", "L2". I still say GM should have made a true four speed trans that had the P R N D 3 2 1. Wouldn't that have been cool?! Man that car would have hauled A*s! And gear it just like a stick 4 speed. But you would have had the speed of the automatic.
Of course when I used to race I could hit gears just as fast as any automatic. Guys would tell me that. They'd say, "Man, that sounded just like an auto." "We didn't hear any space between gears, it just went from one to the next without any rpm drop!" I learned to shift from other racers who'd shift without using the clutch they'd shift so fast through the gears. Of course it's hel* on syncronizers, it busts them up after a few times. What I'd do instead of that is I wouldn't ever take my foot off the gas. And I'd just stomp the clutch and shift as fast as I could. That's why the guys would say they couldn't ever hear any rpm drop. It wouldn't.
That was back when I had my '69 Mustang 351 3-speed. I put a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl. on it. That sucker would scream. That is until I got caught by the inspectors one day and they tried to put me into "modified production". Then I had to put the stock Autolite 2 bbl. back on the motor. Then I started loosing a lot. I was running "J Stock".
they do make true 4 speeds that say that but they just are an overdrive ratio not a multiplier for power

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Goldie Driver,

Cool! I think I like the "L1", "L2". I still say GM should have made a true four speed trans that had the P R N D 3 2 1. Wouldn't that have been cool?! Man that car would have hauled A*s! And gear it just like a stick 4 speed. But you would have had the speed of the automatic.
Of course when I used to race I could hit gears just as fast as any automatic. Guys would tell me that. They'd say, "Man, that sounded just like an auto." "We didn't hear any space between gears, it just went from one to the next without any rpm drop!" I learned to shift from other racers who'd shift without using the clutch they'd shift so fast through the gears. Of course it's hel* on syncronizers, it busts them up after a few times. What I'd do instead of that is I wouldn't ever take my foot off the gas. And I'd just stomp the clutch and shift as fast as I could. That's why the guys would say they couldn't ever hear any rpm drop. It wouldn't.
That was back when I had my '69 Mustang 351 3-speed. I put a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl. on it. That sucker would scream. That is until I got caught by the inspectors one day and they tried to put me into "modified production". Then I had to put the stock Autolite 2 bbl. back on the motor. Then I started loosing a lot. I was running "J Stock".
AUTOLITE was your first problem ;) the mustang wasnt tho

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
they do make true 4 speeds that say that but they just are an overdrive ratio not a multiplier for power

3K RPM'S at 100 - cruising!

WTF were you doing taking pictures. though ?
:think:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
3K RPM'S at 100 - cruising!

WTF were you doing taking pictures. though ?
:think:
dont ask questions you cant handle the answers too

Lol, that was, in fairness, a rare time for me to be on the phone but it was to take a picture of my gauges and temp, the speed was 108 or just shy of it, the 3k was because I wasnt accelerating but going down a hill under a low load so it was cruise for sure. If I was on level or up a hill it would be more. the hill had great side to side visibility and no traffic for like a mile visible so thats why It was there.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Drive
Second
Low

My guess
That is correct. Seems to me there was a PRNDIL I=intermediate, but can't remember who might have used it. What really ticks me off is cars like my wifes caravan PRND3L Most of the time it's not an issue, but there is no way to hold the tranny in 2nd.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That is correct. Seems to me there was a PRNDIL I=intermediate, but can't remember who might have used it. What really ticks me off is cars like my wifes caravan PRND3L Most of the time it's not an issue, but there is no way to hold the tranny in 2nd.
my gmas jeep does PRND (move the thing over to the left to enable button + or - for up and down) and its very much overrides you if it wants, it will sequentially travel through 9 gears to get your request and not skip any, it takes its time too, and demanding a upshift to 9 when its hanging in 8 for some reason is just a waste of time. Cruising at 45+ and low load, and it waits. Im not sure what it waits for but it wont let you force it either. The trans temp is the only thing I think of but I havent tried.
It also loves to hang in high gears before sloppy taking time to slug into a lower one when you asked for power days ago. The sport mode decreases shift times but it moves the shifts , but the thing I desire is the crisp and not drawn out shifts of the normal mode that 1) hesitate 2) make it jerky or just unpleasant 3) unpredictably do all that

It may be an issue with fluid level, sure, I would love to check the dipstick for the fluid level IF IT HAD ONE.

ONE thing I will give the 2010 dodge journey they had, the manual selecting 6th at a dead stop would let you dead ass start in 6th gear. Did it move far fast? Nope. But it let me. Im sure it would lock out abuse situations like 6th gear in a WOT at 15 mph or something but it would mean the issue before i mentioned would have been just done to my request lol

your caravan dont have a +/- on the shifter next to the knob or on it or on the base plate where you go over and down into a new subset. Is it one of those dash-shifts, column shifts, floor(Lol?)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
your caravan dont have a +/- on the shifter next to the knob or on it or on the base plate where you go over and down into a new subset. Is it one of those dash-shifts, column shifts, floor(Lol?)
Nope, no switches. And normally not being able to hold 2nd is not an issue, but sometimes at lower speeds in the snow or whatever it would be nice to be able to do.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Nope, no switches. And normally not being able to hold 2nd is not an issue, but sometimes at lower speeds in the snow or whatever it would be nice to be able to do.
how many speeds is it? 4?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes that's correct, the shifter is PRND31, but it's 4 speeds with 4th being overdrive of course.
i wonder if the shift from 4 to 6 speeds is when chrysler decided to forgo the extra shift detents and give a rocker / plus or minus button stuff.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

Oh wow, you reckon? Was that all the engineers could come up with?

See, I have it in for engineers. I have designed a lot of equipment for the airline I worked for. From tools to work stands, to testing and overhaul jigs that held landing gear components, and components I had to redesign because of engineering flaws. I have years in design and engineering, so I know. And when we were working on the aircraft there was to many times where we encountered places where we saw the engineers had no idea what they were doing. I had always said that part of your engineering training was you had to work for no less than two years in the field in your chosen line of engineering. Then you could see where the engineers didn't have any idea what the heck they were doing because they never had to remove that part from such a tiny place. Had they, they would have known that you can't get a part that big out of a hole that small! After their field training, then they can go sit in the air conditioning and draw stuff on paper for ten times the pay than the people who have to take that part of some piece of equipment, or airplanes for that matter.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0,

Man, that doesn't make any sense. D, 3, and then 1? I understand the overdrive at some point, but I think @AuroraGirl got it right, they gave up on numbers when you've got 6 speeds the indicator would be a foot long. Screw it, just give them a button. They'll figure it out!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl - SirRobyn0,

Sorry I got off topic but the reason why I got back on here was to report the fact that all that write up I did on the aftermarket gear indicator did not work, even after all the prep I did to hopefully make it NOT hang up. It did!! So I went out to the shop and got the factory one, cleaned it up, used "dry transfer" lettering and reprinted some of the lettering, and transfered the pointer, spring, and cable by just removing the pointer assembly and hooking the spring onto my old indicator in whole piece. Then took the aftermarket one out and installed my old/cleaned up one and adjusted the pointer.
Looks good, last long time!

I guess the moral to the story is don't buy Chinese junk. Just go find a factory one, clean it up and use that one. It will guarantee that it will work as designed.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl - SirRobyn0,

Sorry I got off topic but the reason why I got back on here was to report the fact that all that write up I did on the aftermarket gear indicator did not work, even after all the prep I did to hopefully make it NOT hang up. It did!! So I went out to the shop and got the factory one, cleaned it up, used "dry transfer" lettering and reprinted some of the lettering, and transfered the pointer, spring, and cable by just removing the pointer assembly and hooking the spring onto my old indicator in whole piece. Then took the aftermarket one out and installed my old/cleaned up one and adjusted the pointer.
Looks good, last long time!

I guess the moral to the story is don't buy Chinese junk. Just go find a factory one, clean it up and use that one. It will guarantee that it will work as designed.
The thing is anymore sometimes the only option is junk parts......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara