Aftermarket EFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I'm open to engine suggestions from you guys. I've looked into west coast engines. Have you guys heard anything about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I like the price on that engine, I just wish it had power closer to the other ones.

Yeah, it probably makes only 50%-75% more horsepower than your current engine. And there would be all those new GM parts to deal with. :)

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Yeah, it probably makes only 50%-75% more horsepower than your current engine. And there would be all those new GM parts to deal with. :)
Hush hush I'm just trying to get the most power and reliability for my dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Pressed in rocker studs.....yuck. And when I see powdered metal connecting rods I get a bit leery. Powdered metal is ok for a cordless drill transmission but I don't think I want it for connecting rods. Just my .02
I gotta agree, and it also has Hyperjunk pistons, double yuck...

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
In the price range you are looking ($3,500 and up), I would look at these Blueprint engines. They both have aluminum heads, roller cam, etc. I would not spend that kind of money and then pick a flat tappet cam. There are too many advantages to using a roller cam.

355 cubic inch, 390 HP , $3,550 - http://blueprintengines.com/index.p...nding/gm-355-main/item/gm-355-base-bp35513ct1
383 cubic inch, 420 HP, $4,020 - http://blueprintengines.com/index.p...-383-main/item/gm-383-engine-specs-bp38313ct1

If you are on a tighter budget, this engine may also work for you. It has Vortec iron heads and a mid-range roller cam. However, its hard for other places to beat the price.
350 cubic inch, 373 HP, $2,599 - http://blueprintengines.com/index.p...anding/gm-350-main/item/bp3503ct1-gm-base-350

Bruce

eddie1965

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I agree with 4WDKC, Consider the LS swap. Yes its nice to see some older small block builds but the LS's are readily available and produce lots of power and already have fuel injection. I have a 1979 C20 Suburban with a 6.0 Swap. Still needs some work but runs great and very reliable.

You must be registered for see images attach

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I don't know if this will help but its something and yes I know that this is at full throttle during the test.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Ive heard good things about FItech,Holley,and MSD but I don't know much about Edelbrock.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
What do you want to know about the Holley systems, I work for Holley? What ever you need to know dont hesistate to ask.

nujac

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I read and read as much about after market TBI like Holley sniper, Fitech, ect as I could stand. I have a 350 Pace Preformace GM truck crate engine in a 78 GMC 4x4 truck. I spoke with a couple of high performance car builders in the area that also have their own Dyno. They seem to prefer stock GM TBI with custom chips. They said tech support on Holley, Fitech, ect, takes up way too much of their time. Also customers get pissed with lack of support and availability of repair parts.

I do like the information that you can pull from the new stuff on the market verses the old GM TBI. For now I am sticking to a carb till I can install a stock TBI setup with a custom chip I can program my self. For the price of a Holley sniper that requires their high dollar sbc distributor to work together I could install an LS engine. The bull about LS getting better MPG on a 4x4 work truck than an old style SBC is just that, bull. A modern 5 speed transmission with a real overdrive is the key to better mileage on an old school SBC engine. The beauty of GM stuff is you can mix and match their modern transmissions with nearly any of their old engines.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I read and read as much about after market TBI like Holley sniper, Fitech, ect as I could stand. I have a 350 Pace Preformace GM truck crate engine in a 78 GMC 4x4 truck. I spoke with a couple of high performance car builders in the area that also have their own Dyno. They seem to prefer stock GM TBI with custom chips. They said tech support on Holley, Fitech, ect, takes up way too much of their time. Also customers get pissed with lack of support and availability of repair parts.

I do like the information that you can pull from the new stuff on the market verses the old GM TBI. For now I am sticking to a carb till I can install a stock TBI setup with a custom chip I can program my self. For the price of a Holley sniper that requires their high dollar sbc distributor to work together I could install an LS engine. The bull about LS getting better MPG on a 4x4 work truck than an old style SBC is just that, bull. A modern 5 speed transmission with a real overdrive is the key to better mileage on an old school SBC engine. The beauty of GM stuff is you can mix and match their modern transmissions with nearly any of their old engines.

I have a stock tbi setup with programmable chip, it is not a fast process and you cannot tune on the fly unless you speed like $500 for the emulator on top of the cost of the chip burner, new chips, socket mod to the ecm. I also have an older holley efi system on anohter car and it is by far leap and bounds better than the stock TBI and mail order chips for these is a joke. In fact the stock tbi is like 350 cfm (depening where you read) and limits your power capabilities where as this older holley system is 600 cfm and would be a much better scenario. Keep search ebay for Holley commander 950 or chevytalk.org for people upgrading to the new systems, you can usually find these witht he TBI under $600

message this guy and ask what he would take for it. Note this is not a self tuning system so you will have to tune your self. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Com...h=item23b1319d1e:g:qKMAAOSwax5YqIXy:rk:3:pf:0

Last edited:

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
I've been running Fitech for 2 years now on my 406. Had a Mighty Demon 750 on it previously for 10+ years. It was a good carb. But, it is so nice to start this truck and drive it like a modern vehicle. I hate calling customer support, so I did my homework. I honestly can't even guess how many hours I read at night about self learning efi. Read all you can, be patient, make one change at a time, and you'll have you truck running like a song.

Most, not all or course, problems with the newer TBI systems is that they are not always installed properly, or some little thing that gets overlooked causes nagging issues. I've had 4 square bodies with TBI, and not one of them drives with the responsiveness that this Fitech system does. And now that I've spent over 2 years with this, I make little adjustments when I see fit, and the chances are immediate. No burning chips or crap like that. Just my $.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irishgoodbye