Aftermarket A/C is NOT cool...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
My truck cab came with an aftermarket under-dash air conditioner that is not operational (big surprise there). I HATE it since it causes my AC Delco radio to seat at an angle due to the rubber hose placement behind the dash. This A/C (All Crap) has got to go in order for me to continue my recent under-dash projects that I have begun (speakers, courtesy wiring, courtesy lights, NOS heater box installation, etc.). Has anyone on here had any experience with these A/Cs? A good buddy of mine who is a member on here is going to assist me in this removal, but neither of us is very familiar with it. The blower fan for this A/C is situated directly behind the right of my glove box. The installer of this A/C cut the right 1/4 of the glove box and closed off that side that was cut in order to accomodate the fan. This fan is the one that blows the heat from my new heater core too, so it must have been integrated with the A/C. I worry that if we remove this aftermarket piece of JUNK I will have to reconnect a bunch of hacked wires. Any thoughts from A/C experts?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Not sure what the Brand is on your set up but i removed a system from a parts truck I had and the electrical was all plug and play.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Was that one mostly one large piece behind the passenger dash panel with hoses running under the hose and a fan attached to the far right passenger side? Mine has no visible brand name.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Was that one mostly one large piece behind the passenger dash panel with hoses running under the hose and a fan attached to the far right passenger side? Mine has no visible brand name.

mine used the factory NON a/c heater box under the hood, it did have its own blower for the A/C Evaporator located behind the glove box. I have a picture of it on here somewhere in the forsale thread I will see if I can find.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Aftermarket AC.jpg
    Aftermarket AC.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I must have wired into the blower for the A/C...? Thanks for the picture. Getting this out of my dash is NOT something I am looking forward to.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I must have wired into the blower for the A/C...? Thanks for the picture. Getting this out of my dash is NOT something I am looking forward to.

then dont remove it, just fix it

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I have to remove it. It is in the way of my radio and other things that I want to install. I never had any intention of fixing the A/C anyway.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
It took superhuman effort but I finally got that annoying aftermarket A/C unit out of my dash. Now I can do my under-dash work without that piece of JUNK in my way. Now my AC Delco radio will seat properly and not at an angle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrusher