AC compressor clutch Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys it seems as though my clutch has gone out on my AC compressor. It's been cycling fast as hell for several weeks, started slowly then got worse, I checked my refrigerant level and I added a half a can getting it back to normal. Haven't added any in 3 years. Anyways, that quietened down the clutch. Nice and cold.

Then I come back from vacation and the truck blows cold, then warms up. Now nothing. No clutch. Then all of a sudden when I pulled in the drive it kicked back on, cold again, once I turned it off it hasn't worked since.

Anyways, I want to swap the clutch out. I'm looking for tips. Not familiar as I haven't done any yet. Can it be swapped without affecting the charge? I see there must be some sort of puller used to get it off the compressor but oriellys said they don't carry anything for that. Where can I get one? Thanks for any help guys

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I used a puller from O'reilly to swap one last time.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you swap your coil as well?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I did the coil swap and that was a pain to get off. In the end turned out that i did not need to swap the coil and it was just the clearence between the clutch and the coil that was too big. Verify that it is not the low pressure switch that is failing. If gauges show good pressures, then it is possible that the switch is failing and makes it cut off. I had a low pressure switch acting up on a 96 truck at work similar to what you are discribing

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Damn dude that was it. Swapped out switch with a spare I had, AC performed flawless for a 3 hour round trip today. Had to turn the blower speed down multiple times it was so damn cold. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76