A/C later model controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banditti

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hello!! New square body owner and new member.

I have a 1977 C10 with factory A/C. It has the A/C controls above the heater controls. A couple of questions:

1. Can I convert it to a later model C10 that has the heater and A/C in the same control unit?

2. This truck sat for about a decade and the A/C needs work. I am pretty much resolved to replacing everything. For the compressor, I have read a ton on this, but is a rebuilt Delco the way to go?

It already had been converted to R134.

Thank you in advance.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
If it has the A/C controls above the heater controls then it's not factory A/C.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
You can use the newer panel, but would need to get appropriate connector for the blower fan speed select switch. But as mentioned, being non factory ac system, would be either fix what is there or swap in a complete set up from a newer ac equipped square body.

banditti

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks! Learn something new everyday. Find a factory doner from a yard and grab all the parts?

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
what you are talking about is a dealer add on air . it sits under the dash above the heater box with the controls where the ac vent is in a factory ac truck they are hard to find I looked for 2 years for the one I have in my 74 .so don't trash it when you take it out .behind the glove box you will see the fan there is 1 screw in the fire wall holding it in then there is 2 screws above the radio holding in the rest of the unit with the gauges out you can get to the 2 freeon lines and un do them then the hole thing will come out on the passenger side under the dash there is a copper tube that runs from the control unit to the top center of the a/c box it just slides out but don't brake it or kink it .. if you take it out I would like to buy it just the stuff under the dash and controls

banditti

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Is it a good unit? Maybe I should leave well enough alone and rebuild what I have? I'd like the controls in one panel, but maybe it isn't worth it?

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 110

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood