A/C blower problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
I have a 77 jimmy. When I turn on the ac the blower motor makes a nasty clicking sound. How can I fix it or do I need a new one?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does it blow any air out? If it seems to work, but has that noise, there's probably some trash or something stuck in the blower wheel. Or possibly the motor has a bad bearing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The clicking is what made think the same thing, about some trash being in the fan duct. But, I also wonder if it's a fan relay cycling off and on? :shrug: Does it even use a fan relay? I'm not up much on HVAC on these trucks.

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
No it don't blow air when it makes the noise. But when I was in Utah and it was cold outside it worked great. Can it be the relay getting to hot? I also thought a bad bearing in the blower motor. Can I fix it myself? I'm a single father without work so I need a simple fix. Because it gets so hott in my truck I can't go far with my lil girl in it. Thank you so much for helping me you guys are awesome.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a blower relay, but it's just for high speed setting. The blower motor is under the hood, on the passenger side. It's very easy to get to, and cheap to replace too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There's a blower relay, but it's just for high speed setting. The blower motor is under the hood, on the passenger side. It's very easy to get to, and cheap to replace too.

That's what I was thinking. So I'd pull the fan motor out of the hole of the duct under the hood, and ground it, should be a ground wire right there to use, then turn it on and see if the motor turns. :grd:

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
The blower motor is inside behind the glove box. Not under the hood. The one under the hood is just for the heater.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
The blower motor is inside behind the glove box. Not under the hood. The one under the hood is just for the heater.

Do you have aftermarket A/C? My 87' Silverado with Factory A/C only has the one blower motor under the hood.

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah it is aftermarket. I think it's a blower motor form a suburban with rear air. Because it has two motor wheels. I can't find the bolts to remove it so that I can check the bearings. Any ideas how to remove it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yikes, if it's aftermarket buddy, we're gonna be at a loss. Can you take some pics of the underdash unit and maybe we can help figure it out that way, but it has to be encased in the underdash unit somehow.

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
Man this sucks. Well I'll try and get some pics tonight. I need th ac bad it's been 100 plus outside all week.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm trying to feel sorry for you buddy. It gets 100 -110 here and it's thick wet heat. I haven't had AC for 2 years. I know you guys get that dry heat that is fairly tolerable with the windows down. Hang in there, get some pics soon and we'll see what we can do.

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
Ok I think there's just junk hitting the blower motor fan. But to remove the unit to get inside to clean it I'll have to disconnect the lines that go to the ac compressure and the one going to the evaporater. If I do that can I just recharge the system and how big of a mess will it make?

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
Can you please email me if you can help. Lvskater878@yahoo

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You could be right, but I find it hard to beleive even and aftermarket AC company would make a unit that you had to release the freon for minor maintenece. Really, you should post some pics and maybe someone else has that same unit, or at least identify the unit for you and find some help from a users guide of something of that nature.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctonton