A/C and Cruise Control Vacuum Source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Al92toyo if you go to post #5, the top diagram is for an OEM throttle body set up.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was going to redo my AC this summer. But with the year almost over that won't probably happen this year. I'll probably do it this coming spring.

My plan is to just redo the factory stuff. I keep hearing people say the factory stuff isn't any good. Is there a real reason to not put money into my 1980 factory setup? What's wrong with the A6 compressor?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My plan is to just redo the factory stuff. I keep hearing people say the factory stuff isn't any good. Is there a real reason to not put money into my 1980 factory setup? What's wrong with the A6 compressor?

I didn't want to trust a rebuilt unit in my case because everything else was brand new in the system and my OEM hoses were damaged. The real Sanden I bought was less, but new brackets were about $100, plus new custom hoses. It's about 1/2 the weight.

There are a few companies that use knock off Sanden compressors that will work with OEM hoses. They have styles that use OEM brackets and other use custom brackets. Just depends on what you want to spend.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I didn't want to trust a rebuilt unit in my case because everything else was brand new in the system and my OEM hoses were damaged. The real Sanden I bought was less, but new brackets were about $100, plus new custom hoses. It's about 1/2 the weight.

There are a few companies that use knock off Sanden compressors that will work with OEM hoses. They have styles that use OEM brackets and other use custom brackets. Just depends on what you want to spend.
I agree. I don't really trust a rebuild. The Delco rebuilt unit costs as much or more than new compressors I have bought for Toyotas or Ford's. And a new A6 is almost stupid money to me. But I have also heard the A6 is a durable unit.

I may pull mine apart and see what a reseal consists of on it...or I may just be lazy and throw it in a core box and return it.

If I can get a new unit that works with factory brackets and hoses I might consider that as well. I do all my own AC work and have a machine and freon so that part is covered.

Clovis

Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I just got my a/c running this Saturday! It was about $350 all said and done I replaced the compressor, blower motor, and the dryer. I needed the belt too mine was running a shorter one to delete the compressor. I did notice the line to the accumulator was ripped I replaced it already but what’s the accumulator for?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just got my a/c running this Saturday! It was about $350 all said and done I replaced the compressor, blower motor, and the dryer. I needed the belt too mine was running a shorter one to delete the compressor. I did notice the line to the accumulator was ripped I replaced it already but what’s the accumulator for?
It accumulates.

Dont ask questions you dont want to know the answers to!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If I can get a new unit that works with factory brackets and hoses I might consider that as well. I do all my own AC work and have a machine and freon so that part is covered.

The Four Seasons #58098 was the one that installs with OEM brackets and hoses. Depending on what site you click on the photos are a little different, but this is the one that best represents an A6. $320 is about the going price for one. LMC is asking $450!

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The Four Seasons #58098 was the one that installs with OEM brackets and hoses. Depending on what site you click on the photos are a little different, but this is the one that best represents an A6. $320 is about the going price for one. LMC is asking $450!

I had seen those, I just figured those were "new A6" compressors. I think I read that it was a new updated design maybe. I was looking at this a lot more a year or more ago though.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I was going to redo my AC this summer. But with the year almost over that won't probably happen this year. I'll probably do it this coming spring.

just my 2 cents the factory a6 works fine. thats what im running in mine,it makes ice in AZ. An A6 is old tech big n bulky but does the job. An A6 is far more reliable than the R4 grenade.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I replaced the blower motor and accumulator on mine. The bottom tube was broken off on the evaporator and Four seasons makes a repair kit for that for 20 bucks. I'm still using the original A6 that came on the truck and it was working last time I used it. So I'm going to take it to a shop and have it evacuated and recharged and hope for the best.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
just my 2 cents the factory a6 works fine. thats what im running in mine,it makes ice in AZ. An A6 is old tech big n bulky but does the job. An A6 is far more reliable than the R4 grenade.
Yea I care less that it's 50 year old tech, or that it's huge and weighs 30 pounds. I just want the thing to work and get cold and not break every two seasons.

Clovis

Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
It accumulates.

Dont ask questions you dont want to know the answers to!
But why is it needed why not just run a elbow to delete it instead of a T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500