!985 Chev C10 carb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InVision

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi all: New member here. Bought a 1985 4x4 recently and nothing was hooked up on engine. Here is a photo of the carb and where I plugged in some of the vacuum lines. So I could tell someone just disconnected everything. No EGR valve on the manifold. Hoping someone could tell me what goes where. There is a electric valve on carb passengers front top. Not sure what that is has 2 wires and only one is hooked up. Also there is a 4 connector plug that is not connected so I am wondering if that went to the original EGR valve or something.

If someone can point me to a guide and how to proper get things squared away on this 350 when so much emissions has been removed I would be grateful.

Any hints if I have correctly connected a few things would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

M

Attachments

• IMG_6986x.jpg
    IMG_6986x.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6979 copy.JPG
    IMG_6979 copy.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 75

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hi all: New member here. Bought a 1985 4x4 recently and nothing was hooked up on engine. Here is a photo of the carb and where I plugged in some of the vacuum lines. So I could tell someone just disconnected everything. No EGR valve on the manifold. Hoping someone could tell me what goes where. There is a electric valve on carb passengers front top. Not sure what that is has 2 wires and only one is hooked up. Also there is a 4 connector plug that is not connected so I am wondering if that went to the original EGR valve or something.

If someone can point me to a guide and how to proper get things squared away on this 350 when so much emissions has been removed I would be grateful.

Any hints if I have correctly connected a few things would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

M

I'm attaching an emissions diagram courtesy of an old post for a non-California truck running an M4ME Quadrajet. See post number 4 in that link. That will give you a map of where things go and what port on the carb they plug into. It sounds like you want to get the truck going with the original emissions equipment, but the truck emissions are a mess if you're missing a lot of parts. I would recommend keeping the main stuff and even making what's still there work, but if you need to get rid of it or if something's not feasible to keep, go ahead and get rid of it. Is there even a block off plate, or is it just nothing where the EGR valve bolts on? If not, I bet that sounds nice. You can buy a replacement valve anywhere, and you just have to hook the little hoses up per the diagram. One little note there, I'm guessing the spacer for the valve is long gone, but if it clears and doesn't touch anything that could melt, it should be fine. I use the BWD valves from O'Reilly's, and they do well. I've had noteworthy success with that whole product line. If you want to go a cheaper route, and you can wait, I'll bet that Rock Auto is going to have it for a better price than the store, even after shipping costs. Forum members also get a 5% discount, by the way. It looks like you've already got some of it hooked up so you probably don't have a whole lot left. The little solenoid thingy on that carburetor is the connector for a dual stage accelerator pump. If it's not plugged in, I believe it operates as a normal accelerator pump, but as far as wiring it correctly goes, I'd defer that question to @Quadrajet Power. The four wire connector is for an ESC distributor. Is there a female side to that coming from the distributor? If not, it seems that the PO switched to a regular vacuum advance distributor and ditched the Electronic Spark Control system. If that's the case, I wouldn't try to restore the ESC because you already have something that works. If the controller is still bolted to the passenger side firewall, I would save that because it may be worth something to someone who's trying to restore their ESC system. If you do have a vacuum advance ESC distributor, the ESC can either be bypassed or restored, as the system circuit is fairly straightforward. Also, it maybe a good idea to save that image and take inventory on what's still in your engine bay using that diagram as your list. That way you can decide if a deletion has to happen and what that deletion has to be.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3320

Last edited:

InVision

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok whats left of the vacuum diagram under hood says UHM. There are two vacuum switches on firewall that are disconnected. I looked on internet and UHM does not return any hits for vacuum line diagrams. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

M

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody