97 burb transmission woes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So the burb has been sitting while I try to come up with some cash to fix the tranny, conditioner didn't help. Buddy called me today said he may have an option for me. Knows a guy with a 95 truck that was in an accident. It only has 85,000 original miles. Would the 95 trans go into my 97 ok? Other issue is it has sat for a couple years. Big problem?

Care to weigh in @HotRodPC?

Ehhh, IIRC, the 95 is a 95 Only transmission. Now you might be able to do some wiring adjustments and make it work. It has something to do with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation).

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Ehhh, IIRC, the 95 is a 95 Only transmission. Now you might be able to do some wiring adjustments and make it work. It has something to do with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation).

Crap! I was hoping that there might be some small issues here or there but that they would be compatible. I was more concerned with the idea that it had been sitting for a couple years.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can't say I'm very up on the 4L60-E's, but I'm fairly certain of the 95 being a 95 only if you were looking in a scrap yard for one.

Now I wonder if it's possible that you could swap your front pump and your wiring harness to the 95 trans and it work fine. Or would have to swap valve bodies too? And would it even take those parts? Someday I'll have time to research that kind of **** and get it figured out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Crap! I was hoping that there might be some small issues here or there but that they would be compatible. I was more concerned with the idea that it had been sitting for a couple years.

:console:

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hmm, Hotrod is usually right, and he is, when saying the 95 probably won't work for you. I would like to ad my research was that they changed the valve body in 96 (if you get a kit, you get the 95 and older, or 96 and up) I think they also change the electronic plugs, and interface to the computer there. I'd like to hear more about why the 95 in particular is a tough one, maybe becaus eit was a transitional year, and some were the old valve body, and some were the new? I am not sure where, but I think it's 02 that they went to the 4l65e, which is pretty similar, so you have a few years to look at that should work.

Most of the hard parts interchange on these all the way down to the 700r4, but the electronics is where they get ya.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hmm, Hotrod is usually right, and he is, when saying the 95 probably won't work for you. I would like to ad my research was that they changed the valve body in 96 (if you get a kit, you get the 95 and older, or 96 and up) I think they also change the electronic plugs, and interface to the computer there. I'd like to hear more about why the 95 in particular is a tough one, maybe becaus eit was a transitional year, and some were the old valve body, and some were the new? I am not sure where, but I think it's 02 that they went to the 4l65e, which is pretty similar, so you have a few years to look at that should work.

Most of the hard parts interchange on these all the way down to the 700r4, but the electronics is where they get ya.

I think the reason the 95 in particular is a one only type deal, is because 95 was the first year from PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) and the 95 was still TBI and OBD1 computer. In 96 the Vortec SFI motor came about along with OBD2 computer system. To the best of recallection and thinking that's why the 95 ended up being a bastard 1 year only unit. Not sure why they just didn't leave the PWM off the 95. It could have waited 1 more year and go with the ODB2 system and made things much easier for the 95 owners.

Also, I think the 96 and 97 interchange, but it was maybe in 98 they decided to do away with PWM so that would make the 96 and 97 only interchange with each other too. But for certain, YES, it's the electronics will get you hung up. I'm just not 100% up on all the differences on the -E models so take that info with a grain of salt and not as the gospel.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Ok, that makes sense. I agree, they shoulda waited til the valve body change..

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Ok, so I found a deal on a `02 4l60 + t-case out of a Tahoe with only 60k on it for $400. What do you guys think? Will it work? @HotRodPC, What say you?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Jeez, do used 4L60-E's go for that much? I guess prolly so since they're usually a $1200-$1500 rebuild depending on the shop. What would concern me there is the wiring since 97 is SFI Vortec 350 and 02 is LS 5.3/4.8. Total different formats and body styles.

You know what you could do, or maybe even @RetroC10Sport Hollander can be of help, but call a salvage yard looking for a transmission and see if they can tell you what year models would interchange directly.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Jeez, do used 4L60-E's go for that much? I guess prolly so since they're usually a $1200-$1500 rebuild depending on the shop. What would concern me there is the wiring since 97 is SFI Vortec 350 and 02 is LS 5.3/4.8. Total different formats and body styles.

You know what you could do, or maybe even @RetroC10Sport Hollander can be of help, but call a salvage yard looking for a transmission and see if they can tell you what year models would interchange directly.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of doing a salvaged transmission. In this case, having only 60k on it, I would seriously consider it. If this won't work out, and it sounds like it might not, I will probably go with a rebuilt unit through work. That would run me about $1300+ converter and tax. The 4l60 just seems too prone to abuse in towing that I'm not sure I would trust something I didn't know the history on. Maybe I'm being paranoid about it but that is where I am at with it now. It will have to wait til my refund comes in next year though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not saying buy one from a salvage yard, I'm saying see if they can tell you which years would be an even swap with yours. You'll have to act as if you're really interested in buying one though. Just to get the info you need is what I'm saying.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Picked up a tranny out of a 98 with only 107k today. Gonna pull the pan and TC to make sure it isn't all chewed up. I also want to get as much of the old fluid out as I can. Probably be a couple weeks before I get the chance to install it but at least I got it.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sounds like you are on the right track. But just for reference, almost all 4l60e's will interchange with minor modifications. Non PWM units can work with PWM computer with a correct tune and non ls units can work on ls motors using crank pivot spacer or correct torque converter. If using spacer putting older 4l60e on a newer ls motor, then the flywheel holes need to be slightly slotted. Proper torque converter can be used instead of spacers or flexplate from certain 6.0 blocks have the correct spacing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like you are on the right track. But just for reference, almost all 4l60e's will interchange with minor modifications. Non PWM units can work with PWM computer with a correct tune and non ls units can work on ls motors using crank pivot spacer or correct torque converter. If using spacer putting older 4l60e on a newer ls motor, then the flywheel holes need to be slightly slotted. Proper torque converter can be used instead of spacers or flexplate from certain 6.0 blocks have the correct spacing.

Yep, it's these minor modifications and which ones need modified and which ones that don't is what I'd like to know. We need someone to complile all that info into one thread. Many squares get Vortec or LS conversions so it's still good to have here too. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1