'97 350 Vortec wont start, need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The best thing to do, even with old SBC, is to just put the engine at TDC before disassembly and then mark where the distributor is in relation to the intake and where the rotor is in relation to the distributor before you remove it. Then you only have to put it back to the exact spot it was when removed when you reassemble it.

I'll go you one further,I've said this on other posts but it never hurts to say it again.On anything I pull the distributor on, I point the rotor straight to the fire wall,and mark the lip of 5he distributor online with the rotor. Since I do that everytime on any engine, I can walk back up to it 20 years later and as long as the motor hasn't been cranked I can install the distributor 1st try everytime.Even if you swapped manifolds its still 1st try everytime.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It will run if within 30* or so, but throw a code if greater than 18ish * from zero. Scan tool needed to adjust. Also checking for spark at coil or spark plug? Vortec specific distributor caps have bad reputation for actually working.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Got it running yesterday. It was the timing, never knew a Vortec had to be that perfect. Thanks guys. You were all alot of help.
Bucket's illustrations were super helpful.
I lined up the TDC line on the balancer with the mark on the timing cover perfectly. Then took the distributor cap off, to find that I had it about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch off from the little number 8 on the distributor body.
Pulled it out, turned it one tooth, lined the rotor up with the number 8, put all back together, and boom, started up first try.
It only ran for a second or 2, because it wasn't getting enough fuel. Heard the fuel pump screaming and gurgling, knew it was a goner. Luckly I had another one that came from a parts truck, threw it in there and it ran perfectly.
Took it for a test drive, had fun. Havent driven that thing in years.
Now that its running, I have a new list of things to fix on it, so that's fun. But it runs and I'm happy. All thanks to you guys.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Got it running yesterday. It was the timing, never knew a Vortec had to be that perfect. Thanks guys. You were all alot of help.
Bucket's illustrations were super helpful.
I lined up the TDC line on the balancer with the mark on the timing cover perfectly. Then took the distributor cap off, to find that I had it about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch off from the little number 8 on the distributor body.
Pulled it out, turned it one tooth, lined the rotor up with the number 8, put all back together, and boom, started up first try.
It only ran for a second or 2, because it wasn't getting enough fuel. Heard the fuel pump screaming and gurgling, knew it was a goner. Luckly I had another one that came from a parts truck, threw it in there and it ran perfectly.
Took it for a test drive, had fun. Havent driven that thing in years.
Now that its running, I have a new list of things to fix on it, so that's fun. But it runs and I'm happy. All thanks to you guys.
I love the tire choice on that one!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I love the tire choice on that one!
Thank you. Those were my "going up to the mountains to get wood" tires.
Those puppies make some noise I'll tell you that, but they're though.
Used to be my wood truck before my wood rack fell apart and I put the tow rig on the back.
I also have a dually wheels that I can swap onto it, for more hauling capacity. They have the same tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes