89 steering column modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Anyone ever thought of using a newer style steering wheel (with buttons on the wheel) on an old square?

I've got it apart, and thought I'd look into having a wheel with buttons on it for radio/cruise/tow for LS swap/whatever lol.

Thanks

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
In theory anything is possible but off the top of my head I would assume you need the clockspring from the donor vehicle and with space being a premium in steering columns, I cant see that being adapted to our existing column. Maybe if you pull the whole column from the donor vehicle then hook that to your steering box.

Wiring it up will probably be a little time consuming unless your handy. Cruise control might pose an issue between vacuum controlled and electronically controlled. Radio wiring will probably require an interface module (just like if you were doing an aftermarket install on a new vehicle) unless you are using the OEM radio from the donor vehicle. Tow/haul mode in a ls swap would require the BCM from the donor vehicle.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
New steering column would be the answer. But not too new. You don't really want to mess with integration of the body module just to use the buttons.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In theory anything is possible but off the top of my head I would assume you need the clockspring from the donor vehicle and with space being a premium in steering columns, I cant see that being adapted to our existing column. Maybe if you pull the whole column from the donor vehicle then hook that to your steering box.

Wiring it up will probably be a little time consuming unless your handy. Cruise control might pose an issue between vacuum controlled and electronically controlled. Radio wiring will probably require an interface module (just like if you were doing an aftermarket install on a new vehicle) unless you are using the OEM radio from the donor vehicle. Tow/haul mode in a ls swap would require the BCM from the donor vehicle.

X2 - the use of a clock spring assembly is essential to allow this modification (i.e changing the steering wheel but keeping the original column).

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
gonna put this idea on hold. Guy at the chevy yard said I was the first to ever ask of such an idea lol. Back to plan B.....other projects.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Well crap. Broke a part putting it back together. Anyone know where to find one of these? I don't even know what to call it....if anything I'd call it the shift lever detent.

89 tilt column

the circle part is what broke off, the arrow points to where its screwed on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size