88 350 TBI losing power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyNail351

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500
Engine Size
Got an 88 R2500 with the 350 TBI having power issues. Already been through having to change the coolant temp sensor and then the EGR valve after it got stuck open. Changed fuel filter and cap and rotor last year which seemed to fix it before parking it for the winter. Started acting up again but not as bad as before. After warming up and driving for a bit giving it more than 1/4 throttle it starts falling on its face, any more and it completely dies out like it's not getting enough gas let up on the throttle and it catches again but still can't give it more than 1/4. So I'll push the clutch in shut the key off turn it back on and pop start it and then can put it right to the floor and it'll run great for a while. Check engine light comes on when it happens and then goes out after restarting but I haven't had a chance to scan it yet. Adapter coming for the scanner and plugs and wires coming as well but looking for a direction to look in the meantime.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
you can check stored codes by jumping A and B on the ALDL port and turning key to on. it will flash 12 three times and then flash stored codes (up to like 30 starts ago).

I'd also check the fuel pressure.

the data stream from ALDLDroid or a scanner will help diagnose more.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have seen A LOT of aftermarket distributor caps that cross fired. Only buy Delphi, Delco or GM. They are expensive but I have dealt with countless drivability issues caused by other brands. They leak within the cap, it's not visible.

Scott551

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Got an 88 R2500 with the 350 TBI having power issues. Already been through having to change the coolant temp sensor and then the EGR valve after it got stuck open. Changed fuel filter and cap and rotor last year which seemed to fix it before parking it for the winter. Started acting up again but not as bad as before. After warming up and driving for a bit giving it more than 1/4 throttle it starts falling on its face, any more and it completely dies out like it's not getting enough gas let up on the throttle and it catches again but still can't give it more than 1/4. So I'll push the clutch in shut the key off turn it back on and pop start it and then can put it right to the floor and it'll run great for a while. Check engine light comes on when it happens and then goes out after restarting but I haven't had a chance to scan it yet. Adapter coming for the scanner and plugs and wires coming as well but looking for a direction to look in the meantime.

i can help you , i make custom programmed chips for the 87-95 tbi, can also delete egr entirely

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i can help you , i make custom programmed chips for the 87-95 tbi, can also delete egr entirely

FYI
Although most areas no longer do emissions tests on older vehicles, EPA has been going after reprogammers.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Working EGR has absolutely no downside and definite positive attributes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1