87' to 77' front clip swap....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
I know the 88'-91' front clips are popular to swap onto the older squares, but Im thinking Id like to go back in time if I get another.

...is this a fairly easy swap to do and what all would need to be replaced?

...fenders, hood, core support, bumper, lights are what immediately come to mind.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Wiper posts also need to change. 81-87' posts won't fit under the hood. 73-80' had the cowl built into the hood instead of a separate panel, so they have different wiper posts. You should also really try to install the anti-decapitators. They are a little post that goes either in the middle of the bay, or at the edges in order to prevent the hood from coming into the cabin in a crash. I'm planning on doing this swap myself on my 87'.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Wiper posts also need to change. 81-87' posts won't fit under the hood. 73-80' had the cowl built into the hood instead of a separate panel, so they have different wiper posts.

Otherwise a pretty straight forward swap...?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Otherwise a pretty straight forward swap...?

I think so. Fenders and all bolt right up. I've heard rumors that you have to relocate the core support mounts, but no one seems to confirm whether or not that is true.

As far as the core support mounts go, I would just bolt up the entire front end in one piece, see where the core support lands, and go from there. It may just all line up.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
I think so. Fenders and all bolt right up. I've heard rumors that you have to relocate the core support mounts, but no one seems to confirm whether or not that is true.

As far as the core support mounts go, I would just bolt up the entire front end in one piece, see where the core support lands, and go from there. It may just all line up.

Good info, thx.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77