87 Suburban Heater Core Box Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dumaine

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Hi, I have a 87 Suburban that I needed to replace the heater core (leaking). For a first timer the process actually went well thanks to Internet videos and Forums.

Question is this....inside the box there is a baffle (mixer). Is it supposed to fit snug on the rod and move when the rod moves, or is it moved in position with the airflow that crosses it depending on your settings?
I ask because when I got it all back together the rod can turn freely without any movement to the baffle (mixer). Also when I connect it to the main rod like it is supposed to be assembled, and slide the rod forward it turns the second rod but the baffle (mixer) does nothing. I can reach in the hot/cold door and move it forward or backward. I was under the impression that the rod could only slide in one way, mine can slide in in any position.
You must be registered for see images attach

newbie17

Reaction score
First Name
bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
The rod has a flat spot that must engage the flat spot in the mixer. The end of the rod with the flat spot will be visible in the small "witness" hole on the main plenum.I always coat the rod with a little grease before insertion to make things easier.

Dumaine

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I am going to take a guess and say that it all must be worn down. I did notice the flat spot at the end of the rod (if that is what you are referring to) but it seemed rather smooth and just slid in any way I attempted to slide it in. Not sure if it is a big issue at all since I get floor heat on the heat setting and defrost when in the defrost setting. After replacing the clip on the front door I also get great flow coming out the front where the vent ductwork attaches. Yet i still need to put all the ductwork back which was removed for another issue.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I am going to take a guess and say that it all must be worn down. I did notice the flat spot at the end of the rod (if that is what you are referring to) but it seemed rather smooth and just slid in any way I attempted to slide it in. Not sure if it is a big issue at all since I get floor heat on the heat setting and defrost when in the defrost setting. After replacing the clip on the front door I also get great flow coming out the front where the vent ductwork attaches. Yet i still need to put all the ductwork back which was removed for another issue.

Dumaine

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Great idea Chengny

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
I can't seem to get the rod out so I can replace the heater core, any advice?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
Got it out and managed not to break anything.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man