87 r10 gas tank problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 tbi
Hi, Guys
On my 87 r10 has the dual tanks and i got a question...on the right hand tank I can fill it up and run it for pry 25-30 miles and the its like somthin plugs up somthing and it will barly idle and will run terrblly rough and if i put it in drive itll promply stall and then itll start for bout 2 seconds then stall but if i switch to the left itll run like a champ. And if i give it bout 15-20 mins and the right tank will run for a while again......Any thoughts or answers?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Hi, Guys
On my 87 r10 has the dual tanks and i got a question...on the right hand tank I can fill it up and run it for pry 25-30 miles and the its like somthin plugs up somthing and it will barly idle and will run terrblly rough and if i put it in drive itll promply stall and then itll start for bout 2 seconds then stall but if i switch to the left itll run like a champ. And if i give it bout 15-20 mins and the right tank will run for a while again......Any thoughts or answers?
Is it TBI with pumps in the tanks?

Mr.Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 tbi
Yes

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Sounds like an overheating pump. Is it the original? I'd think a replacement might be in order.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If you could check the fuel pressure it would help too.

Mr.Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 tbi
Sounds like an overheating pump. Is it the original? I'd think a replacement might be in order.

Ues it is original

And Thanks guys ill check it out....!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hi, Guys

Sounds to me like the pump is going out, if it runs fine on the other tank then it limits the problems to the part of the system that isnt shared with the other tank, ie the pump, sending unit, lines to the switch or electrical connections.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Replace the pump and in tank screen sock filter. The pump rums about $40 and the sock filter is about $5. Empty as much fuel as possible from the tank before dropping it to gain access to the pump. Also a good idea to clean off the years of collected dirt and other debris from the top of the tank, before removing the pump locking rings. I just replaced both of my pumps and filters from my 87 r10. Its not too dificult of a task.

Mr.Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 tbi
Ok thanks allot for the info guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics