87 Power Window Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikiepa

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Okay guys, first post on the forum. I just picked up my 1st project truck, 1987 v20 Silverado. Pretty good shape for the age and Ill get some pictures up. It was a Georgia truck so NO rust on the body except for a little surface rust on a couple of scratches. Anyway, took it to the mechanic to have it gone through and it a solid driver now, runs great but looking at putting it back to near new condition. Good thing is it has a new crate 350 in it so most of my work to be done is cosmetic first and then some performance upgrades to up the HP.

Project for this weekend is the doors and they need the standard cleaning, new stricker bushings etc. The main thing I am concerned about and looking for a little knowledge on is the power window speed. The driver side goes up and down no problem. The passanger side goes up and down but it is VERY slow. I dont know if something just needs to be cleaned/greased or a new motor or a whole new assembly? Anybody have any experience in this? Any help would be appreciated.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard. Try some silicone spray on the window tracks. :wayotgo:

Mikiepa

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I will give that a try. Your Suburban takes me back, my dad had an 89 just like that for about 20 years, alot of good times in that thing. I remember driving it when it rolled over 100K and 200K.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I always wanted one after riding to the mountains in my buddy's Dad's '87 Burb 25 years ago. I fell in love with Suburbans after that. I had a couple older ones here and there over the years. I finally got a TBI one now with quad lights and 4WD. :) I do mis my red '85, that thing was prisitine, solid, powerful and smooth. Simple basic interior, rubber floor, cloth seats, manual locks and windows. No a/c. I wish I could go back in time and grab it. I lost the motor in it towing a load of me ex-wife's crap down from upstate, and a month after that I got hit head on at a red light.

Mikiepa

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Yeah they are great vehicles. I have always loved them. Dad is on his 2nd suburban and I am following suit with the Jr. edition and I am on my 2nd Tahoe already. Also on my 3rd Silverado. Between my dad and I we have a small Chevy museum accumulating. We took the 89 Suburban coast to coast and traveled most of the US pulling a 24' traveler trailer as I was growing up, alot of good memories.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is some pics, this Burb was brand new at the time I rode in it when I was around 15/16 yrs old:

You must be registered for see images

And my red '85:

This was a 70 something, all wheel drive:

.....and a lifted 70 sumptin on a 85 frame:

Mikiepa

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Theres a history lesson, awesome man, love the pics. I can tell im gonna love hanging out on this place already, most people looked at me like I had three heads when I bought this truck. We just bought a new Tahoe LTZ all decked out and now im driving an 87 silverado around while the tahoe sits in the garage and no one gets it. I will try to drag some pictures out of my dads old suburban this weekend, I know I have some downstairs. Hes also had a 77, 82 and 84 3/4 2wd trucks, all different trims. The 77 was the worst one but my favorite. Frame rusted through and the truck acutally broke into two pieces while sitting in the backyard, but now im thinking how cool it would be to go get that truck and see if I could bring it back to life. The 89 Suburban had nearly 300K on it when Dad sold it and we still see it driving around town. It had double doors in the rear and they had rusted so bad they would actually come open while going down the road and you would have to stop and shut them. The rest of it was actually pretty damn solid for being a northern indiana truck ( alot of lake effect snow). BTW, I have spent quite a bit of time in KOP. Lived in Philly for about 3 months, love that city.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
See those small white nylon rollers at the ends of the arms - they'll be falling off. Since they are so loose they no longer guide the window straight up and down. Consequently the glass gets crooked and jams into the channelruns.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Autozone sells a repair kit for this. I've never tried it so can't say if it would work. It consists of a new set of rolllers and some jumbo sized pop-rivets.

Last edited:

Mikiepa

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
thanks for the information man, i will be sure to take a good look at those when i get it apart.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
BTW, I have spent quite a bit of time in KOP. Lived in Philly for about 3 months, love that city.

I am right across the street from the mall.

BTW, sorry for the hijacking of the thread. :badidea:

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
I had to pull my window motors and regulators. Pull the end off the motors, and clean out all the dried up grease, and re lube the motors and regulators. Now they move great. The rollers need to be in good shape, and clean the roller tracks on the glass, and in the door.

Mikiepa

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Well I put off tearing into this for a week or so now. I ordered all the replacment parts off the web that I know I will need. All new door seals, handles, armrest, door panels etc so when i tear it down I can reassemble using new parts. I have to drive it tomorrow to get the plates and title work done so I want it to be operational when I do that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sounds like Xmas for your square. :)