87 Part Time 4x4 to AWD ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whit3tatt3dn3rd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Truck Year
1987 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
awesome now all i have to do is find this damn transfer case lol. and when/if i find this and install it i'll put up a build thread in case anyone else wants it.

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
i also want to convert my V10 to AWD, the most important problem to find a good awd transfert case is the passenger drop side on our square body.

most of the mordern truck (IFS chevy) have driver side drop transfert case, so you can't use one of their TC (denali c3 TC would be have perfect).

so there is 2 solutions :

1) convert the square body to driver side drop by changing the front axle (70 's ford ones are driver side, or a lot of jeep ones also but they are probably to weak for weight capacity)
and then use a Grand cherokee TC (NV242 is for me the best because it alsways have a 2wd mode, or nv249)

2) the easiest way, use a np203 but it won't fit directly to a th700r4, you need and a gearbox to TC adapter (advance adapter makes one).
the bad side is that TC is twice the weight of the other aluminium.

i was wondering, if it was possible to find/build an inline viscous coupler that you put betwen the standard transfert case and the rear axle, at the tail of the output of the tc, or à the input of the rear différencial. but i dind't find this kind of part?

So i choose the np203 way, i must go to bring the TC at home in a few weeks, but the works won't start at once, because i want to do a frame off restauration.

whit3tatt3dn3rd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Truck Year
1987 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
yeah i kinda scrapped the all wheel drive idea schedule is about to get really crazy and wont have much time to work on what needs to be done as is... right now just gonna worry about getting its thing running if nothing else i now have a truck to tow any other projects i end up with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising