87 chevy v20 3/4ton backup light switch location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willis

Reaction score
First Name
Willis
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm new to this truck so im not sure where to look for this switch. My backup lights dont work, and the bulbs are good. So im wondering if its the switch, or maybe the wires have become disconected? Im not even sure what transmission is on this truck.

Thanks for any triuble shooting and help everyone!

-Willis

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I am fairly certain that your back-up light switch will be on the steering column way down at where the column the penetrates the firewall.

You should find a semi-circular white plastic piece mounted on the upper half of the column casing.

There may be other leads attached to it - depending on the installed options - but the backup lights are switched by the contacts connected to the dark blue and light green wires.

To determine if the problem is with the switch or elsewhere - just pull the dk bl/lt grn leads off the switch tabs and run a jumper across the ends of the wires. Turn the key on. and check your back up lights. If they are on adjust the switch if not - it's time to break out the multimeter and wiring diagrams.

Adjust the switch by rotating the switch body around the column - it makes a series of ratchet clicks as it moves.

Do this with the gear shift in "R" (and an assistant watching the lights). When you hear your helper yell - "They're on!" - the switch is properly adjusted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad