86 K20 front wheel bearing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm looking to order front axle wheel bearings for my 86 K20. Looking on Rockauto I see listings for 2nd design axle.??? It's a corporate 10 bolt front axle. The only numbers I see are on the rear lower web. #4030(9?)70. Any ideas on 2nd design axle?? Thanks to Bextreme04 for pointing my error in identifying front axle. Still wondering about 2nd design axle though. Going to do ball joints so figured I would do wheel bearings while I was in there.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm looking to order front axle wheel bearings for my 86 K20. Looking on Rockauto I see listings for 2nd design axle.??? It's a Dana, but not sure if it a 44 or 60. The only numbers I see are on the rear lower web. #4030(9?)70. Any ideas on 2nd axle design or axle identification? Thanks
An 86 K20 would not have had a dana front axle from the factory. It would be a corporate 10 bolt front axle.

I have no idea what the first and second design is though. What's wrong with the current wheel bearings? Unless they have been driven for quite a while out of adjustment, they are probably still good. I always replace all seals when I pull them apart, but the bearings just get cleaned, inspected, and then repacked and readjusted.

Reactions: WFO

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Now that I look at it again you may be right. A corporate 10 bolt. The cover didn't look quite as round as the pictures I'd seen of 10 bolts. But, upon taking another look it doesn't have as much shape as a Dana. Thanks, I'll edit my post.

geardaddy

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
several
Engine Size
Now that I look at it again you may be right. A corporate 10 bolt. The cover didn't look quite as round as the pictures I'd seen of 10 bolts. But, upon taking another look it doesn't have as much shape as a Dana. Thanks, I'll edit my post.
you will need LM104949/JLM104910 and a35 bearings and a 471271 seal per side...

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The easiest identifiers between a D44 and 10 bolt are:

- D44 diff cover will have straight / square sides, 10 bolt covers do not have a straight edge anywhere.
- 10 bolt axles (front or rear) will have square "ears" on the diff casting at the lower corners, can't miss them.

Iirc, 1st vs 2nd design is identifiable by the tie rod, one design has the tie rod ends going through the steering knuckle from the bottom up (nut on top) and the other goes down (nut on the bottom). I used to see parts illustrations with these designations when looking up steering linkage parts. It seems like 1st design was a D44 and 2nd was a 10 bolt, this nomenclature was used to make it easy to figure out which axle you had because of a mid year (1978) axle change in production.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike