86 cab left over connectors for what??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sticman

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1980 /1987
Truck Model
K10 / V10
Engine Size
350 5.7L TPI
i used an 86 diesel cab in my build. I have been going through diagrams like mad and cant confirm these left over connectors.

You must be registered for see images attach

this harness comes out the fire wall between the steering column and firewall connector.
this is a three pin connector with a single pin orange.
the colors are green, light blue, light blue black tracer and green in orange connector.
i think this was / had something to do with the 700r4.

You must be registered for see images attach

This three pin plug is for what? Glow plugs?
comes out just beside the cruse harness.
And the left over factory cut hole to the right of the picture? Glow plugs?

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
For the first picture, you said the two connectors come through the firewall. Do they go straight into the fuse block or are they routed through the firewall inside one of those rubber grommets?

In the second picture the three pin plug coming through the firewall is for the glow plugs. To the right of that looks like hole where the harness for a power rear window in a blazer or suburban would go.

Hope this helps. I pulled a diesel harness out of a 1984 K5 a couple days ago. Ill go check it out a bit more to see if I can confirm anything about those other wires and that hole.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Turns out I have the harness, here are some pics.

1st pic.
Top Left is the blue/blue/green wire. On my harness it shows the green wire with orange connector on the inside of the firewall, not in the engine compartment.

Green connector and brown connector plug into the fuse block.

2nd pic.
Closer view of the relay. Relay is part number 14014515, google comes up with various transmission relays.

3rd pic.
Gray/Blue wires were connected to an adapter on the brake pedal assembly. That same adapter had a black hose that ran through the firewall into the engine compartment so this might be for cruise control?

4th pic.
Shows the whole harness. The part of the harness that is in a zip tie runs into the transfer case.

Attachments

• Transmission Harness 2.jpg
    Transmission Harness 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 217
  • Transmission Harness 3.jpg
    Transmission Harness 3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Transmission Harness 4.jpg
    Transmission Harness 4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Transmission Harness 6.jpg
    Transmission Harness 6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 226

sticman

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1980 /1987
Truck Model
K10 / V10
Engine Size
350 5.7L TPI
Thanks for pictures and the confirms, gave me direction in my mission.

Didn't have the tcase run lying around on the floor of the cab, thought it got ripped out. Found my end for the tcase shoved / bundled up in the dash after looking at your harness. Makes more sense now. Agree-ed something more to do with cruise and 4x4 indication cct.

More research leads me to think my left over hole may have been of the trans kick down cct, a single wire is shown in every drawing I've looked at passing through the fire wall. My cab has no wiring left attached to the throttle kick down switch and that empty hole in the firewall.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
No problem. Im going to messing with wiring a lot over the next week or two so if something else comes up I'd be happy to try and help you out. What type of engine arre you putting in your truck, diesel or gas?

sticman

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1980 /1987
Truck Model
K10 / V10
Engine Size
350 5.7L TPI
I forgot the 81.5 and up had a cable pull for the hood release, that's the left over hole in the cab. I picked up an most of an old kick down harness today. Of course the orange is cut, but easy fix. It only makes sense that orange should drop through the shifter hole for the t-case to get to the 400, no other holes left.

I went with a L98 MAF TPI 350 combination way back for the nice low rpm torque. Maybe old tech nowadays but no point changing direction until I wear it out or break it.

Since your playing with harnesses. Ive spent the time to pin-out the cab firewall connector to 80 and 86 should be the same for the in-between years. I can draw it up if useable for you.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I forgot the 81.5 and up had a cable pull for the hood release, that's the left over hole in the cab.

I was thinking the same thing today, glad you figured it out.

I went with a L98 MAF TPI 350 combination way back for the nice low rpm torque. Maybe old tech nowadays but no point changing direction until I wear it out or break it.

I like old tech, its easier to take apart and put back together. It would be a mess trying to figure out one little problem in a modern dash harness.

If its not too much trouble I would appreciate the 80-86 wiring schematic. I'm still learning how to read them and I'm sure some of the other guys on here would like to know how it works as well.

sticman

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1980 /1987
Truck Model
K10 / V10
Engine Size
350 5.7L TPI
Here's what Ive pined out.
If there's a mistake let me know, it can be changed...

Attachments

• Chevy Cab main Firewall connector to chassis pinout.pdf
    112.2 KB · Views: 244

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26