85 k10 short box driveline clunk help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_weedles

Reaction score
First Name
jody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
well, lets start with saying i am brand new here and this is my first post. so if i make any mistakes, please forgive. ok. now lets get started with my truck details. it is a 1985 chevy silverado k10 short box with a 305 and 700r4/np208 transfer case. it is a bare bones stock truck. the problem i am having is a very noticeable driveline clunk. but before we get into the details of the issue, i just want to say that under normal acceleration conditions (light throttle), it will shift completely normally through all gears with no issues what so ever. that being said, this is my issue i am having. it is almost like a grinding clunk sound that will most seriously happen when it changes gears from 2nd to 3rd under half throttle acceleration. it will not make this sound at WOT when changing from 2nd to 3rd. it will also make this noise when changing from 3rd to 4th at WOT, but under normal acceleration it will not. no matter how hard i push it, it will NOT make this sound when changing from 1st to 2nd. downshifts are smooth and the TV cable is properly adjusted ect. all the transmission and motor mounts are strong, and the transmission has only 70,000 kms on it since a rebuild. this is really confusing me and would appreciate any help i can get. thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64