84 chev no tail lights or RH brake/signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosis21

Reaction score
First Name
bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
wrangler
Engine Size
I have a 84 wrangler that I am havingelectrical issues with.
I have no tail lights, no RH brake or signal, LH brake and signal works, reverse lights work. I also have no dash lights but the cig lighter works.
I started out but checking the bulb and plug. then went on to test the wire to find no power.
I worked my way up to the circuit board on the firewall and I have no power to brown, green, green, and yellow has power if I pull out the switch inside.
so I went on under the dash and checked all fuses to find all are good except lmp lst (5amp bottom left)
I decided to go up and check the wires coming from the swtich. I have power to the red and white, power to the yellow only if the switch is pulled out. I have no power to green or brown.
Is the switch NFG? broken wires somewhere?
Any and all help or insight would be greatly appreciated thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It appears that you may have several different issues:

no tail lights,

Power for the tail, parking and license plate lights is out of the headlight switch on the brown wire. Power into the switch - for those circuits - is on the orange. Check that the orange is always hot.

If the orange is hot, but the brown does not show voltage (with the HL switch in either the parking or headlights position), assume a faulty switch.

If the orange is dead, recheck the fuse and inspect the wiring from the fuse block to the HL switch. I don't think it is a wiring problem with the fusible link on the firewall or within the fuse block. That's because the HORN/DOME fuse is fed the same hot lead and you report no problems with them. Is that right?

Do you have front parking/directionals? The brown wire off the switch feeds both the front and rear parking light circuits, so working fronts - but no rears - would indicate a broken lead to the back.

no RH brake or signal, LH brake and signal works,

This isn't good. In the absence of an obvious wiring/bulb/socket/grounding issue, the next component to suspect would be the turn signal switch inside the steering column. It isn't expensive, but is kind of a pain to R & R.

I also have no dash lights but the cig lighter works.

Couple of things here. First, if your INST LTS fuse is blown - nothing will light up until that is straightened out. Second, the power for the dash lights originates from the headlight switch on the same orange wire as discussed above. After passing through the rheostat/dimmer it is routed back to the fuse block on the DARK GREEN. There, it passes through it's fuse. Upon exiting the fuse, the color changes from DARK GREEN to GRAY. That GRAY lead goes to several places besides the IP lighting (radio, HVAC control, wiper switch, cruise control stalk, etc).

I have power to the red and white, power to the yellow only if the switch is pulled out.

The red is the independent feed (used for only the headlights) and the yellow is switched power out - it goes to the high/low beam dimmer switch.

The white wire is actually a ground leg that is used to complete the circuits for illuminating the dome and cargo lights. The hot side of those lamps is on the same circuit as the orange 40 - and is spliced in before the headlight switch.

So, if that wire is hot, it is a good indication that the orange lead from the fuse block to the HL switch is okay. It also follows then, that the loss of power to your parking/marker/plate lamps (on the brown wire) is occurring in the HL switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli