83 k15 won’t run in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheesehead

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My 83 won’t stay running. It’s got a new tank and sending unit. Electric pump, 350 with an edelbrock carb. It idles fine but once I kick it down it stumbles a bit but no matter how much gas I give it it instantly dies when I put it in gear. I’ve adjusted the carb and had it purring. It’s been sitting for a while since I’ve made other repairs. The only thing different is I installed a tach and I spliced into the tach wire to the distributor. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Urbanburban22

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE V1500
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
What transmission are you running? Any drivability concerns before this happened?

cheesehead

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
400 tranny, never had issues but it’s sat for four yrs only moving around my driveway to keep parts moving. The idle will hold steady for a while at 700 then drop to 3-400 then die out sometimes. Seems almost like it’s either choking itself out or flooding itself but in the back of my mind I’m thinking the new tach spliced into the distributor might have something to do with it

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Unhook the Tack See if it will run.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I guarantee your truck doesn't have a tach wire if it didn't have a tach.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With electric pump, check fuel pressure, accelerator pump.

Disconnect EGR if equipped, if that doesn't help reach underneath with fingers check rod for movement or hook up a vacuum pump check function.

HEI distributors, wire out of pickup coil will weaken. When vacuum advance turns the plate that circuit will open, engine dies.

cheesehead

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
It’s been raining all day, haven’t been able to do anything but yesterday I pulled the fuel line to rule out the filter and while cranking it the line flowed like a garden hose. And yes the distributor cap has three wires, one of them is a tach connection.

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
Tranny? Torque converter malfunction can do that. What you described happened to my '95 Crown Vic a few months ago, but it would move a few feet in gear before it died. After a few more tries it wouldn't move at all. End of this week it gets towed to a very reputable and experienced trans shop for a rebuild. Maybe it's the trans.

Will it start and stay running in neutral? If so, put it in gear from there and observe.

When you put it in gear, did it move forward at all before the engine died?

Also, a loose ground wire anywhere can also stop your engine. Same for corrosion between ground wire and ground. GM issued a bulletin some years back that recommended (for older vehicles) checking ground wire connections for corrosion or loose wires. Vibration (like putting it in gear) can be enough to jiggle a ground and shut off your engine. I had that problem with an '87 Chevy that would die or stumble inexplicably and then go back to normal as if it was fine. I actually checked the ground wires by bumping them with a screw driver and nothing happened. Took the car to a top notch repair shop and they couldn't locate the problem even with their expensive engine analyzers. Their friend at the Chevy dealership asked if they could take a look at it. They couldn't figure it out. A week later the repair shop called me and apologized for taking so long and still not fixing it. They wouldn't charge me anything since they hadn't fixed it.

A couple days later it died right when I started it and put it in gear. I tried again and it started fine, so I raised the hood and even though I had already wiggled the ground wires a few weeks prior, I tried wiggling one of them again and the engine immediately died. I restarted it and jiggled the same ground and it died again. I had finally solved my problem.

Good luck and please tell is how it turns out and what it was.